Stock appearing on backorder

aaronaaron Posts: 44Member
When creating a backorder for a variant which is out of stock, Lightspeed automatically deducts the stock by the ordered amount. So If I have stock 0 and backorder a variant once, it will show stock -1.

However, if it is then decided to cancel the order the stock will be set to 1. I think this is because it is assumed that the backordered variant will be added to the inventory, however it may be entirely possible that the order is cancelled before an order is even sent to the supplier/or the variant is still on its way, meaning we suddenly have stock while we actually have no stock.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
The eCom shop belongs to the Retail shop.
Tags:

4 comments

• JaivyDaamJaivyDaam Posts: 29Lightspeed Staff Lightspeed
    Hi @aaron

Thank you for your message, I apologise for the delay in my answer.

I've been thinking about your scenario, this is mainly because Retail can't handle negative inventory (Backorder). Which means that the eCom will show -1 whereas in Retail that matrix product will stay 0. When the order has been paid and such, after the order has been cancelled, Retail will add 1 to it's inventory and syncs it with eCom, this is why it shows up as 1.

The only thing I can really advise is to disable backorders. Since Omni-channel uses some of the eCom API endpoint, I'm afraid you can't access them and so you can't create a direct workaround for it.

What might be possible is to create webhooks to gain all the orders that have been placed in eCom. Then make sure you know the Retail endpoints to check which one is a backorder and which one is not. This will require some dev time as you'll need to cross reference every product that has been ordered with the inventory in Retail

I am unsure about the state of the negative inventory for retail and where it stands on the roadmap, however, until that is done I am afraid backorders will always have this issue.

I hope to have informed you sufficient, if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 44Member
    edited October 2018
    Hi @JaivyDaam,

How can I cross reference an eCom Variant to its Retail 'Item parent'? It doesn't seem like the eCom Variant returns something like a Retail ID.
  • JaivyDaamJaivyDaam Posts: 29Lightspeed Staff Lightspeed
    Hi @aaron,

in my perspective you would need to grab both catalogs and use a unique identifier like the EAN or SKU code to make sure it is connected correctly. 

You are right, there is no eCom/retail ID and you'll have to create or find that in the data of the customer.

Other then that, I'm stuck and can't provide with a reliable workaround.

Hope my answer can help you further.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 44Member
    Hey @JaivyDaam,

That's exactly what we ended up needing to do, we link them through articleCode/Custom SKU.

It is unfortunate that it does not return an Omnichannel ID or something upon making an API call to Retail items, but it will have to do.