Instant message/notice from eCom to Retail when an item is sold online?

sriesrie Posts: 4Member
Hello,
Is there any option in Lightspeed omnichannel for notifying Retail when an item is sold online? Currently we are experiencing issues during busy periods whereby an item is sold online but retail staff are unaware of the sale, and subsequently end up selling the same item in-store as well. A notice does pop up when the item is scanned at the POS, but at that point it is too late as the store customer has already tried on the product and is ready to complete the sale. Our staff cannot turn around and tell the customer "sorry but this item has been sold online already". So we're having to allow the sale in-store and then refund the online sale. It's messy.

Is there any feature or work-around so that retail staff can be instantly notified when an item is sold online? This would enable retail staff to then pick the item right away and avoid double selling. Running reports manually isn't suitable as this is not practical throughout the day when the store is busy.

Thanks  

3 comments

• gregaricangregarican Posts: 270Member 
    I don't use eCom, but imagine since webhooks are available for an online sale, then that could push a trigger to a third party web service. That in turn could alert staff via an e-mail, an SMS message, etc. of whatever the receiver can provide. Here's a tutorial about webhooks --> https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/ecom/tutorials/webhooks/

For our businesses, an online sale triggers an e-mail to backoffice fulfillment staff of the event. Then those staff reach out to the stores to have them physically pull the item for fulfillment. As long as our staff is somewhat responsive then there's little chance of overlap. The odds of the exact same item being immediately brought up to POS for ringing out are very small. 
  • sriesrie Posts: 4Member
    I don't use eCom, but imagine since webhooks are available for an online sale, then that could push a trigger to a third party web service. That in turn could alert staff via an e-mail, an SMS message, etc. of whatever the receiver can provide. Here's a tutorial about webhooks --> https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/ecom/tutorials/webhooks/

For our businesses, an online sale triggers an e-mail to backoffice fulfillment staff of the event. Then those staff reach out to the stores to have them physically pull the item for fulfillment. As long as our staff is somewhat responsive then there's little chance of overlap. The odds of the exact same item being immediately brought up to POS for ringing out are very small. 
    Nice work-around, I was thinking email myself. To be honest, in a true omnichannel system a work-around shouldn't be needed though. There should be a notification of some sorts sent to Retail that flashes up on the POS, as it's kind of a vital part of in-store retail and eCom working in tandem. Especially when there is a sale event on and thus a high volume of transactions, as we have experienced ourselves over the past few weeks.
  • tpbolatpbola Posts: 9Member
    I used the MailClerk app for Slack for this.