Multiple inventory counts

Is it possible to take inventory over the course of several days, and add the counted inventory together? Or an option to select if you want "add to" or "overwrite" the count?

Answers

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 333 
    Our company hasn't tried that approach, primarily due to the fact that the original inventory listing isn't a "frozen file" and stock changes over the course of time (e.g. - new products added, existing products sold/refunded, etc.) will cause the inventory listing to change. If you don't have a lot of transactional activity then perhaps this gradual approach work work I suppose...
  • flowerandhomeflowerandhome Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, we just have such a huge building, we break inventory up over 3 weeks, and with our displays, items can be located in several places in the store, so we tackle it by area, not by vendor. That's what makes it difficult.
  • Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 569 moderator
    @flowerandhome you can do this. When your inventory levels change from what they originally were in the count, Lightspeed highlights that item's inventory as orange signalling that you need a recount

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

edited November 2018
    What I'm trying to still wrap my head around is how these scenarios can be cleanly handled without a "frozen file." We have run into challenges for sure.

For example, our inventory consists of higher-end retail jewelry. Say average price point of $1,500. So we aren't eager to zero out items that come up missed immediately after the first inventory scan. We spend a few days thereafter hunting things down and scanning them as we find them. Talking about thousands of items in the listing, so scanning a few dozen of the stragglers that were inadvertently missed.

If we click on the Missing tab for the Inventory Count a few days later, any items newly added into stock appear down the list as the days go by. These weren't truly missed, since they weren't part of the original inventory listing. Our "workaround" is to figuratively draw a line at the first item in that listing where the newly-stocked items start appearing. Assuming that the items prior to this imaginary line are the ones truly missed.

A good long-term road map item would be to implement a frozen file for performing inventory counts. After all, not every operation can perform and reconcile physical inventory in a single day. Not to mention if we have third party auditors requesting a shrink report based on a previous inventory count, we have to explain to them how the Missed results aren't even relevant to that previous point in time.
  • flowerandhomeflowerandhome Member Posts: 4
    We have about 75,000 unique SKUs, and we do it at night while the store is open, so when we count 10 of an item, it's possible a customer picks up an item and places it somewhere else while shopping, then we unknowingly count that again when we move on to the next room.  We are new to Lightspeed (Aug 2018 launch) so we have not done this before.
    @flowerandhome , that definitely sounds like a challenge. Seeing the scope of what's involved, the reconciliation end could be pretty daunting. I'm not sure if LS Retail allows creating a new Inventory Count only for certain categories, manufacturers, vendors, etc. If they did then you could perform a series of inventory counts over a subset of your 75K SKUs. And logically combine the results.

What we have found is that most discovered gaps in LS Retail have required either changing our business practices, internal development using the LS Retail API (https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/introduction/introduction/), or seeking out a third party development resource that was adept at the LS Retail API. 

Our company that currently has been on LS Retail since June 2018 is small enough where we can complete Inventory Counts relatively easily. However, this wouldn't scale well enough for our two other companies in terms of Inventory Counts and reconciliation. We'd likely have to internally develop an offline Inventory Count function and would employ secondary UHF RFID tags and scanners. Proof of concept using UHF RFID tags resulted in reading 30 tags per second from 15-20 feet away. Certainly makes it go by a lot quicker! :smiley:
  • JoeyJoey Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 193 moderator
    Performing an inventory count on a specific section of your store is called a Spot count (per brand, category or tag). This article about Doing inventory counts has more information and also shows what happens if "Inventory changes during a count", as Adrian mentioned above.
    But there is no protection in case a customer picks something up and moves it, and it gets scanned again. This would involve unique identifiers for each product. Performing an inventory count while customers are in the store is inherently more risky.
    eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
  • djmyersdjmyers Member Posts: 4
    How do you recommend doing inventory on large areas that cannot physically be done in one day where a product can be in multiple locations?  
  • VélomaniaVélomania Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

First of all sorry about my english, we are about doing our first inventory count with lightspeed. From what i am reading it seem impossible to separate my count by section for example first floor  wall number 1 then number 2 etc then, second floor wall 1 etc merging everything for my final inventory. Am i right? We would like to divide the store to ease the process. The date is getting close any help would be appreiate

Daniel
  • Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 569 moderator
    edited November 2018
    @djmyers @Vélomania you can simply split your count into sections. You don't have to count your whole inventory at one time, just label each count with each subcategory of what you want to count. If there are any inventory changes whilst you are counting, that cell will highlight and turn completely orange signalling that you need to do a recount for those items. More information about this can be found here: https://retail-support.lightspeedhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/229129948-Doing-inventory-counts

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

Hi,

Just to make sure, we want to do our inventory in 1 shot,but want to divide the store in area . So its easier to assure accuracy Someone at LS told me we wont be able to merge all those area into 1 inventory at the end.
    I am missing something

Thanks
    Daniel
  • JoeyJoey Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 193 moderator
    That is correct, you can not merge inventory counts and they will show up as individual counts. I recommend adding an identifier to the title of the count, for example Dec 2018 - Area 1. This will help you easily identify them later on.
    Hope this helps!
    eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ

Hi,

Its me again.... i am getting different anwers to this and i want to make sure. If we do our inventory on several days, one day counting the bikes,next day the shoes,etc .....do we reconcile after each count(what happens to the uncounted products). We will like give a tiltle for each count, bikes,shoes helmets. So they will be mayber 6-8 counts Someone at lightspeed say we should not do this, but what the point if its true to do it on several days

Thanks

• roberto_panseraroberto_pansera Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 39 moderator
    edited September 10

Hey @Vélomania ,

You can do spot counts (count one day just the bikes, the other day just the shoes,...) and reconcile without any problem. Just DON'T zero out all the missed items. Filtering the items on the count by brand or by category will help you to avoid mistakes and find the exact items you are counting and you missed.

Regards,

Roberto

Post edited by roberto_pansera on

Thanks,

And if anyone have some tips i will take them