How does Shipping API handle multiple pieces in one shipment?

GWAGWA Posts: 10Member
We are currently setting up our store and preparing to launch.  How does Lightspeed/(Easypost) or other API handle deciding ultimate package size when determining price for multiple items in a shipment?  For example, if I have 6 items that are all 6x6x4, that would ultimately fit in the same box, the size dimensions of the box wouldn't change, only the weight would.  How does it know not to calculate using a gigantic box (6 times dimensions)?

1 comment

• JulienDJulienD Posts: 3Member, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    edited November 29

This is how parcel dimensions are calculated in Lightspeed.

Scenario 1: If the order contains one product:

Lightspeed eCom communicate the exact dimensions of the product to EasyPost/ShipStation based on the dimensions entered for the product in the eCom back office.

Scenario 2: If the order contains two products:

Lightspeed eCom uses the highest Length and Height and uses the SUM of the Widths. This is also based on the dimensions registered in eCom and from this calculation our platform pulls the shipping rates from EasyPost/ShipStation.

Examples:

If I have two products of 4 x 4 x 4 and 3 x 3 x 3, the resulting parcel dimensions are

• 4 x 7 x 4, so we can place the items side by side in the box.

if I have items of 5 x 6 x 7 and 4 x 5 x 6, the resulting parcel dimensions are

• 5 x 11 x 7, so we can place the items side by side in the box.

Scenario 3: If the order contains more than two products:

Lightspeed eCom uses the product with the biggest dimensions and communicates it to EasyPost/ShipStation.

Example:

If I have items of 5 x 2 x 2, 4 x 4 x 4 and 1 x 1 x 10, the resulting parcel dimensions are

• 5 x 4 x 10, which is a box that is at least big enough to fit any product

Post edited by JulienD on