Adding CRV (California Redemption Value) cost to a product, not taxed

DeepDeep Posts: 3Member
Hi I am new to this POS. Could you let me know if there is a feature to add CRV (California Redemption Value, non taxed portion of bill) to plastic cans and bottles. This is getting a little annoying doing it manually and if it can't then I may need to drop this POS.

Thank You

4 comments

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 468Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    edited November 2018
    Hey @Deep I'd like to hear more about the problem you're facing, could you describe to me in detail what the ideal scenario would look like in Lightspeed, what's presently preventing this and what you're having to do right now?

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• DeepDeep Posts: 3Member
    An ideal situation would be that each product has muliple prices fields other than just a single price and tax.

The other add on price fields would be attached when some one purchases this item. In this case lets assume a 6 pack of IPA beer.

The price would be $10.99 plus (1) tax 8.25% on $10.99 (2) CRV ($0.05 x 6 = $0.30) which is not taxed.

Total = 10.99 + 0.0825*10.99 + 0.30 = $12.20. Here the CRV has to be a separate field added, but should be a part of the product price (just not taxed)

This field could also be an add on labor charge. So in this case the beer is to be delivered so the price would be $10.99 plus 1. tax plus 2. CRV which is not taxed 3. Labor which is not taxed. 

In any case I know other Lightspeed users in my area who have been begging and suffering from this for years. They have just been adding a tab to add the CRV, but imagine having 100 customers an hour and every single product you would need to guess and press the CRV add button. How much money is lost when it is not pressed correctly. Also here the CRV is dependent on the item size of the drink and how many bottles. Employees are just not able to do this correctly. Please let me know if this can be fixed.
  • Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 468Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    Hey @Deep thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me!

Lightspeed by design doesn't have a way to segment a given item into taxable and non-taxable portion.

There is a way this could work via the API if something was custom built:

What if there was a way to press a button and have an application calculate the CRV and re-do the prices accordingly? The CRV addition that is non-taxed would have to be a separate line since an item is either tax or non-taxed.

You would reduce the line item by the CRV tax and have the name of the second-related line, the item name-CRV with the total non-taxable total.

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• DeepDeep Posts: 3Member
    Thank You.