LS Retail API Endpoint for Inventory Logs?

gregaricangregarican Posts: 241Member 
If I use the web GUI I can drill into sales/refunds and see timestamped events that are behind them (e.g. - https://us.merchantos.com/?name=transaction.views.transaction&form_name=view&id={TransactionId}&tab=event_log). While I can use the inventory logs (e.g. - https://us.merchantos.com/?name=item.views.item&form_name=view&id={ItemId}&tab=history) in the web GUI, I cannot see exact timestamps and a true event log.

Wondering is there was some sort of API endpoint I could connect to that would list more specifics? Similar to how the sales/refunds show their audit trail in the web GUI.

6 comments

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 416Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    Hey @gregarican , unfortunately this internal service is not exposed via the API
  • gregaricangregarican Posts: 241Member 
    There is another application where this functionality is lacking. And it's negatively impacting our business. Here is a specific example.

For year-end we scrapped a large batch of jewelry items. Meaning we sent off the metals to a refinery for lump-sum payment. So we had to take items out of stock, zeroing out their quantity and cost. 

We need report out the total item count and total cost that was removed from inventory for financial reporting. Of course if we added a product tag to these items we could get an idea about that prior to taking them out of stock. Unfortunately this step wasn't performed.

If I pull up the Inventory Change Logs, I can see the changes in quantity and cost. The only other important data field that doesn't appear is the System SKU. Screen shot below. 

Similar to how an RTV report doesn't provide the vendor with their manufacturer SKU, a EAN, a UPC, etc. simply providing a brief product description isn't a very clear-cut identifier for a product.

Is there any plan for inventory logs to be added to the API? I don't think I'm the first person to inquire about this most likely :smiley:
  • gregaricangregarican Posts: 241Member 
    Guess no feedback means a no to my question... :neutral:
    Hey @gregarican, sorry for the late reply! We are actually looking to make significant changes to our API and Inventory Logs have been a part of the discussion :) I can't give a timeline or anything like that but you're definitely not the first one to mention this and the product team have taken note!
  • jblainjblain Posts: 1Member

Hi! Any update on this? Being able to track inventory changes from a cost perspective would be considered a basic accounting report and required to balance the inventory and also from an audit perspective. Please advise. I was informed I needed to purchase Analytics, although this is an expense alternative for a basic report... thanks

@jblain Not yet! Negative inventory as well as some other significant changes are on the immediate horizon but in future, we hope roadmap might allow some scope a more proper exploration of these things. We understand the use case of this.