How do I even start?

jonsayerjonsayer Posts: 1Member
I'm a developer new to working with Lightspeed. I have a client who needs to connect their lightspeed POS with their Salesforce customer data, and I am not sure were to start. Specifically is something mentioned on this page: https://www.lightspeedhq.com/pos/onsite/developer-api/

Under "Can I test out the API or build apps with the Lightspeed Demo?", it reads, “a Lightspeed Developer Exchange membership and licensed Lightspeed Server is required for development at this time”.

I'm having trouble understanding what all of that means, and phone support said to post here.

My question is How do I get a development instance of Lightspeed that I can work on without working on my client's live instance (ie. currently taking orders)?

Do I need to pay for an additional license? Do they have no "sandbox" or equivalent?

Thanks ahead of time for your help, and sorry for the noob question :)
Tags:

2 comments

• riverwoodriverwood Posts: 2Member

We are trying to gain access to the Lightspeed backend for uploading catalogs and customer info without having to submit a ticket. We primarily use VBA because of our excel data. How can we interact with VBA and the databases? where do we begin? can you recommend a book?

A.  OAuth2 protocol through VBA?

B.  XML or JSON ?

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 357Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator

Hey @jonsayer, first you'll need to contact the account manager for the POS and they can provide you a license for the developer exchange and then things should be clearer from there