duplicate inventory

Hello,

I recently imported 2 of the same file.  so now I have 2 of the same item in my inventory.  When researching only thing I saw was to merge the items.  Well I imported 995 items twice!  So it would take me forever to click each one and merge.  Anyone know other options thats faster?  Would be nice if lightspeed had a feature to locate duplicate inventory and merge automatically, as well for customer data too!  

5 comments

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 333 
    If you are familiar with the LS Retail API, you could pass in an array of these duplicate system SKU's, iterating through each one and archive them. That's one option. Not sure about ayn batch merging function through the LS Retail web client...
  • kiddywampus1kiddywampus1 Member Posts: 11

I was thinking the same thing this morning when I discovered I had imported duplicate items by accident. It would be nice to have a report to locate these items easily (since it is really easy to import duplicate items, especially when you're just getting started). You could also archive the duplicated items, which is what I'm doing for now, from the Item Search page. Unfortunately I haven't figure out a way to do this in bulk.

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 572 moderator

Hey @kiddywampus1 & @discountpools60,

Great question!

@gregarican's option would be a great if you are familiar with programming with APIs.

Alternatively, you could use the power of spreadsheets to help you.

The steps you would take in this would be as follows:

1) Export your inventory into a spreadsheet. Remove all columns except the SystemID and the Description.

2) Use the Sort function to sort the rows alphabetically on the "Description" column and then create a new column with a header named "Duplicate checker" and write a condition something like this:

=IF(CELL=ADJACENT-CELL,"This is a duplicate", "This is not a duplicate")

So in a real spreadsheet it would look something like this

=IF(A2=A3,"This is a duplicate", "This is not a duplicate")

3) Then you would use the Filter function to see only the duplicates.

4) You would then copy and paste that data into a new spreadsheet and add a column called "Archived" and put yes next to all those fields and then use the import tool to add these into Lightspeed.

You can read more about the import tool here:

You can read more about excel IF statements here:

You can read more about how to sort data in excel here:

https://exceljet.net/formula/basic-text-sort-formula

You can read more about how to filter data here:

https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-filter-function

I hope this helps!

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• onlinepenguinonlinepenguin Member Posts: 20

a better solution would be for lightspeed to give you an error message when imported that the sku, upc or ean is a duplicate. We had that in my old system when trying to create an item that already existed