Could anyone help with pushing and retrieving info from LS retail to Filemaker please?

richard_macalertrichard_macalert Posts: 8Member

I am experienced with Filemaker but no experience with API's

Best Answers

• richard_macalertrichard_macalert Posts: 8Member
    Accepted Answer

You are right guys and well done. You have succeeded in putting me off doing this. Instead I will write my own POS program in Filemaker which will work the way we want to, have excellent support and be far better than the terrible offering of Lightspeed Retail which is like a POS system for cavemen. It will also save me thousands in the extra add ons needed to make Lightspeed even vaguely usable. Thanks for helping me make the right decision!

Answers

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 514Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator

@richard_macalert do you know how to program?

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

In what? I have done some programming here and there - I can pick it up. Just need some pointers....

@richard_macalert in any language.

If you want to get data from Lightspeed, you'll have to use our API and you'll need to use a programming language to do that. You can register an API client here:

https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/authentication/authentication-overview/

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

Can I please get a step by step I would need to follow along with programs needed to achieve a connector from Lightspeed to Filemaker on a Mac?

I presume I will need to write a script to move the data from Lightspeed to Filemaker. An in-between file? What do I use and what needs to be in it?

Cheers!

Also I know filemaker is now capable of getting and pushing RESTful commands - is there a chance it will communicate direct?

Sounds quite involved. Is there no way to get and push direct from filemaker?

Again just wanting to know -

filemaker is now capable of getting and pushing RESTful commands - is there a chance it will communicate direct?

@richard_macalert, even if FileMaker can push RESTful commands you still need to build a middleware to handle authentication, token refreshing and dynamic API query logic, so the simple answer is no, unless you are able and or knowledgeable in the work of embedding that logic into FileMaker

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

@richard_macalert the high level steps to build your app are these:

1) Set up authentication for your app. So you'll need to get an access token once and a refresh token every 30 mins following the steps listed here:

2) Now you are authenticated to make API requests, you can now pull data from Lightspeed using any one of the endpoints using the GET method.

The structure of the query normally looks like this:

https://api.lightspeedapp.com/API/Account/{{accountID}}/{{endpoint}}.json

An example of this might be

https://api.lightspeedapp.com/API/Account/1234/Sale.json

3) Take the data (which is in JSON format) and structure it according to data structure

4) Manipulate the output according to the preferences/needs of FileMaker

5)Send it into FileMaker

6) Set up a Cron Job to execute job over regular intervals

Such work typically involves the use of a programming language. That programming language will have additional tools to assist you to accomplish the above steps

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

Thanks this is great! Is Filemaker capable of sending a restful command that authenticates and requests a token? If not can you give an example of what program I need to use to create this app please?

@richard_macalert I doubt it. This is something you need to configure in a programming language.

I think there may be some confusion in terms here, to handle this you do not use a program, you have to write a program using a programming language to do this.

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ