Custom Fields in Import, Search and Sales

Hello! New user, trying to set up my wine shop on Lightspeed. I am creating custom fields for some of the attributes of wine like vintage, type (red/white/etc.), bottle size (750ml, 1.5L, etc.). But they don't show up anywhere on except the item detail? Or in search? Or anywhere? It looks like I still need to cram all that in the description to be able to use it to find what I want.

For example, I have some bottles (with no UPCs on them btw, or sometimes the same UPC for different vintages).

Silver Oak Cabernet Napa 2012 (750ml)

Silver Oak Cabernet Napa 2010 (1L)

Silver Oak Cabernet Alexander Valley 2012 (750ml)

So I have to put all that in the description, and duplicate it in the custom fields? And the custom fields do what?

Best Answer

• VintageWineGuyVintageWineGuy Posts: 9Member
    Accepted Answer

No one from LightSpeed answered here, so I called the support line, and was told that Custom Fields don't really do anything. You can just look at them on the Item record - no search, no import/export, no nothing.

The advice was to use tags, so I will try that. It's not optimal, especially since they are easily misspelled and can't contain spaces. I had most of my custom fields as drop downs which minimized errors. And most of my fields have multiple words - like Pinot Noir or Châteauneuf-du-Pape - which don't fit well in tags. I haven't implemented my eCom yet, but if this is a "feature" there, I will be in trouble.

The ability to add custom fields and actually use them is pretty basic, and this is functionality I hope LightSpeed addresses.

Answers

• VintageWineGuyVintageWineGuy Posts: 9Member

Follow up, forgot to ask this. I can't import those custom fields either with the Import tool?

Should I use matrix and create some of these there? A matrix with vintage, grape, size?

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 368Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator

@VintageWineGuy I'm afraid you can't. Custom Fields are primarily used by developers who want to build integrations and require some additional meta information in their app

As you rightly saw, Matrices are the designated place to create homogenous items that differ only in specific attributes