General Functionality of Category Page - Observations

kiddywampus1kiddywampus1 Member Posts: 11

I've been working with the category page and have noted some things that could be improved.

1. Rearranging categories: If you have numerous subcategories under subcategories, it becomes very difficult to actually physically move the different levels of categories around. Dragging a categories up or down only allows you to move to the top of the displayed page, it does not automatically scroll up the page or down. So I find I have to drop categories temporarily at the top of the page, in the wrong place, scroll up, and then grab the category again and move it up again. This is really frustrating.
  2. Every time you move a category, a pop up message appears at the bottom saying "Success. Category has been updated". This pop up gets in the way of me grabbing anything below the message and I have to click on the X to dismiss the message. (Yes I know it eventually disappears but I'm moving fast!) This message is really not necessary, we know we've moved the category and assume the system saved it.
  3. Allowing us to hide different levels of subcategories would be nice. This might help with issue #1. If I was able to hide level by level it would be easier for me to see different levels in a compact view.

I'm wondering if these items are currently being addressed or if others have also noticed these issues? Or maybe people have tips or tricks for us to try to make it easier to manage this page? Thanks!

2 comments

• AbbasAbbas Member Posts: 48

Hey, I recently did the same and found it very frustrating. If you’re using retail then you can move it there as it’s much easier. If not then we just have to wait for them to either add a scroll function or some sort of zoom toggle.

I am not sure if the engineers consider real life uses when user interface is built. Also I really wish they would add categories as a filter to products. This has been a feature request for a really long time now.

if you try to add a category image or content server errors occur with categories holding more than 200 products.

come on LS sort out categories!

• JoeyJoey Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 197 moderator

Hi @kiddywampus1

We are aware that rearranging categories is indeed tricky and needs improvements. I have created a support ticket to track your request for these improvements.

Although it is tricky and you need to be careful, but you can scroll while dragging a category.

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ