Anyone Sell Items As A Combo?

GAMartinGAMartin Member Posts: 11
Combos are a proven way to sell more. Think "do you want to make that a meal?" Combos usually have a slightly lower price and take multiple items from inventory. How do you do this in Light Speed? It seems very cumbersome to scan all three combo items then apply the right discount. Also I don't use assembly because they tie up the inventory and do not allow you to sell the items as singles if you have already "assembled"them. Really would like to scan one bar code; have the combo listed on the receipt for the combo price, and have all the individual items pulled from inventory.
Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible. Alan Kay

Best Answer

• GAMartinGAMartin Member Posts: 11
    Accepted Answer
    @LSTomer idea of menu buttons is interesting but seams like it would be best for small number of items. Also out would be hard to look up the price of a combo item with out adding it to a new sale. I would propose:
    New item type combo
    allow you to add multiple other items to this combo. the combo could be priced individually, one bar code adds 3 items to sale
    would show inventory for each component of the combo under item details
    on sales receipt: list the combo and the price. then list out each component but dont print the price, allow for serialized items with in the combo (we need to be able to add sireal numbers to individual items of the combo)
    would be good for restaurant (value meal), bike that is being built with inventory components, fitness equipment with consoles and base, etc. combos and value packs would be a great way for retailers to move more product.

Answers

• wocrucwocruc Member Posts: 10
    We have the same need with no real solution. Because of this issue, I am constantly searching for some other software to handle our needs. We currently list every component on the invoice, plus, when applicable, a "build fee". I would prefer to handle it as an assembly. If only the assembly, when out of stock, would automatically pull from the components just like a box automatically builds from the singles - that would be awesome! That way, only the one line item would be on the invoice. It would work well for assemblies, kits and combos. In fact, this one improvement would allow me to stop looking for a different software solution, but, for now, it is such a big issue for me, I continue to search.
  • Gabriel GivensGabriel Givens Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 19 moderator
    Also you may consider using workorders for something like that. This, in many ways, acts like a custom bike or custom computer. Bringing parts together for a single unit with labor involved. Work Orders allow you to keep inventory held for a customer while you're working on something customized.
    Gabriel Givens
    Senior Frontline Support
    Lightspeed HQ
  • kevinneubkevinneub Member Posts: 2
    I've never used workorders but a quick glance makes me want to say "no way". A workorder requires a customer name and other info. Too much time at a checkout. Very different from simply checking out customer purchases. Combos are big for me too as I have a deli and really do "make that a meal". Right now I offer 1 item at a discount to make the meal and keep that as the added item with a lower price. I have "French Fries" and "French Fries (Combo)". The combo fries are a lower price and the clerk knows to use that one to complete the meal sale.
  • LSTomerLSTomer Lightspeed Staff Posts: 5 Lightspeed
    Have you guys tried using the custom buttons? You can create different combos and "embed" them into the sales screen, so that when you tap on it, it will add all the items of the combo (along with a "discount" item if needed).

Here is an image example: First you would click on the "Speaker System Packages". That will open up the "Speaker Combos" submenu which could include multiple pre-set combos. In this example we chose the only option I created, the QSC K12 Speaker, which auto-added all the items in the bundle including the discount.

This is not a good solution if you want to create new combos "on the fly", or if you have a large amount of combo items.

• dougfastfixdougfastfix Member Posts: 21 ✭
    Combos or kits would also allow bundling of parts and labor.
    As an example, we sell a lobster clasp for a chain repair.
    We would like to bundle the labor to attach the lobster.
    So we would have a single SKU.
    If we use "assembly" Lightspeed wants to convert all the labor SKUs into inventoried items.
    So a kit or bundle seems like the right approach.
  • GAMartinGAMartin Member Posts: 11
    We have about 75 different combos we want to sell so the menu button idea will not work, It would be way to cluttered and hard to maintain.
  • JoieJoie Member Posts: 1
    GAMartin said:

@LSTomer idea of menu buttons is interesting but seams like it would be best for small number of items. Also out would be hard to look up the price of a combo item with out adding it to a new sale. I would propose:
    New item type combo
    allow you to add multiple other items to this combo. the combo could be priced individually, one bar code adds 3 items to sale
    would show inventory for each component of the combo under item details
    on sales receipt: list the combo and the price. then list out each component but dont print the price, allow for serialized items with in the combo (we need to be able to add sireal numbers to individual items of the combo)
    would be good for restaurant (value meal), bike that is being built with inventory components, fitness equipment with consoles and base, etc. combos and value packs would be a great way for retailers to move more product.

I agree with New item type Combo that just print as single line item in receipt. Please do that and i will switch to lightspeed.

This should be a basic feature and it is the main part of doing retail sales.
    Microsoft Dynamics RMS has it with name "Kit". Kit was not perfect as it lists all the components in the receipt
  • SubtleDSubtleD Member Posts: 10

The fact that lightspeed still doesnt have this feature after years is absurd.

• HeatherHeather Administrator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 101 moderator

Hi @SubtleD

Thanks for your feedback. I've passed your thoughts on to our Product & Development team.

You can also give feedback directly from your Retail menu: Retail -> Help menu -> Give Feedback.

Thanks,

Heather