Access data directly through SQL

GabrielGabriel Posts: 4Member

I would like to receive a backup of my database. I'm trying to get some specific data in a usable format, but I am having no luck with the Lightspeed Analytics. It doesn't give me much more info than is already available with a direct export from the inventory module. Now, there is a SQL button on the data strip that can be selected in Lightspeed Analytics, but it doesn't do anything. I've already spoken with Jessie Gorre, a level 1 support tech at Lightspeed, and he says he also cannot do anything with the SQL button. Additionally, he had level 2 techs try it and they couldn't access anything there either. Perhaps this is simply a permissions issue, but I feel that since I am paying for the module, I should have full access to its functionality. If I could have access to this, or just have a full backup, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

6 comments

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel moderator Posts: 545Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    edited June 13

Hey @Gabriel, thank you for raising this! That button simply hasn't been removed from the UI and isn't intended to provide functionality. Lightspeed Analytics is a marriage of development and business intelligence tooling and that button you noticed is designed for an entirely different architectural setup and thus serves no function or purpose.

The data in the format you see in Analytics and Retail in its state is all we able to give to you since you're paying for a software service in the format of an application.

If there is some custom mix of data you're trying to get we would advise using the API to extract that:

https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/authentication/authentication-overview/

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• GabrielGabriel Posts: 4Member

Thank you, I appreciate the direction towards that route. In the future, I may use the API, but in the meantime, is it possible to just get a backup of my database? Maybe there's a fee involved?

Is the LightspeedAccess nuget package the .net API for this?

• gregaricangregarican  Posts: 311Member 

I used that NuGet package to help simplify some of my API client builds. It certainly made things a bit easier. Especially if you are looking to just pull your data recordsets out. If you need more of a look behind the scenes for the Retail API and have any needs not served by LightspeedAccess, you can always start digging into --> https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/introduction/introduction/.

Thanks Gregarican, I appreciate the feedback

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel moderator Posts: 545Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator

Hey @Gabriel,

There isn't a process for that. I would imagine if it were possible, it would be a long and lengthy process since there is a lot of different things going behind the scenes, most importantly a lot of our IP is mixed with that data since the application structure is tied with our databases, and that informs one about how the database and application is built and functions.

So it would have to involve our legal department.

But to re-iterate, if there ways a way there isn't anything we would only be providing what's already accessible via the API.

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ