Mandatory Customers

Is there any way to make customers mandatory on certain items?

I have several issues that arise daily where my employees keep "forgetting" to add customers at the time of sale and the information is VERY important (e.g. for donations, memberships, etc.)

It would be nice if I could "FORCE" adding a customer when selling certain items so this information is not lost.

I know it is a training issue, but we are all humans and mistakes happen.

Any ideas would be amazing...

8 comments

• ChristianVapenSmokeChristianVapenSmoke Member Posts: 2

Just an idea you could use, its not ideal, but it may work out for you as a bandaid.

Set the price of the item to be something very high, such as 99999.99, and set up an automatic discount which sets the price to where you want it to be, and have that discount require a customer

• TrolleyMuseumTrolleyMuseum Member Posts: 7
    edited August 8

Thanks Christian,

That is a very good thought, but unfortunately for me I have a great many items that require customers at different price points which would require just as many discounts. It does have potential though - for an off season project. I might give it a go! How do you add an automatic discount to an item?? I have not seen an option for that?

Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing your knowledge!

Sherri 🙂

• gsharpgsharp Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 10 moderator

Another Idea: Use the work orders to build memberships, donations, etc -type sales. They require a customer and it's a button click to take it all to the sale.

You could even add custom menu buttons to the workorder builder to have quick access to all your items that require customer tracking.

Thanks Gsharp....

I don't do work orders, these are sales. Basically, I run a museum and when I sell a membership...clearly I need a name, aka "Customer." Same goes if I get a donation, or contribution, I need to track that for tax purposes and to thank the contributor. I also have to track free tickets given out, business members, tour groups that visit..etc. If I my staff forgets to add a customer, my records are a mess as you can imagine...

Basically, just like the "discount" creator gives you an option to make customers mandatory, the same option on "Item" level would solve the issue. You can't sell an "ITEM" if you dont have a customer, just like you can't take a check with out a customer.

Since customers being mandatory is already part of the programming for other uses, it would be nice to have it at the "item" level and would "seem" an easy fix.

Thanks so much for your time and feedback!

Sherri

Sure Sherri. But you have access to workorders with your subscription (even if you don't see them in your account right now), and they work just like a sale, except with the different structure/form.

I'd call into Lightspeed and ask your account manager for a quick 10min demo of workorders. Tell them you want to talk to Glenn if you want to fast track it ;)

• roberto_panseraroberto_pansera Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 39 moderator

Hi @TrolleyMuseum

As it so happens right now we can offer just workarounds for this issue. You can sell the subscriptions as inventory or non-inventory SERIALIZED items. The serialized items can be set to require a customer (but the item needs to have a "serial" number)

Once a serialized item is added on the sale, the system will show the message "Choose Serial Number" this will help your staff to remember they need to take an extra step.

If your subscriptions (or memberships) have barcodes or any specific number, your employees can scan directly on the serial number or they can just type the customer name.

After these steps, if they click on payment without adding a customer, they will see this message:

I hope this can help

Regards

Roberto

This sounds like it has great potental! Thank you Roberto, I will give this a try!

Sherri :)