Data entry automation

dbgaragedaysdbgaragedays Posts: 3Member

Hello,

I am helping a new footwear store that is using LS pos.  I have some programming experience and helping them ty to automate their procedures.  they are spending a ridiculous amount of time hand entering order and invoice information.  

For example, i am having a hard time convincing the staff to enter po’s through LS because they then have to go enter the order again on each vendors site.  So, i am trying to learn the capabilities for automated ordering. I need to find a solution where the po is electronically sent to the vendor b2b ordering site.

Also, it is typical for a customer to order a product that is not on hand.  So at the pos, they have to build a new product which takes too much time at pos.

Nearly all products have a style color and size and those types of products cannot be imported from a vendor catalog.  

Seems like one thing they need is a “master catalog” list that contains every product for every vendor?

I am hoping to get some insight or advice on what other companies are doing to automate their procedures, especially with vendor ordering and keeping product info up to date to minimize data entry

Thanks

Jason

1 comment

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 504Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator

Hey @dbgaragedays,

Whether customers order items in store that they don't stock is business decision that varies between industries and stores alike..

You'll want the stuff in this footwear store to utilise special orders at the point of sale.

1) Customer walks in, orders something possibly run out of stock or not in stock

2) Staff creates special order. Special order is eventually manually into Purchase order using lightspeed's built in workflows

3) Your application queries the Order endpoint for new or update purchase orders and automatically sends the order to the vendors website on a daily basis

Alternatively

You could have a live database containing all the products from these respective vendors that you actively update and sync. That database would expose an API which could be accessed at the point of sale using custom buttons (https://retail-support.lightspeedhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/229518207-A-detailed-overview-of-custom-menus) in Retail. From there the staff member could look up the requested item in question, import it (by using the Item endpoint to create it), and create a special order (just like step 2) and make the purchase order (just like step 3)

Either way would work. The latter requires less data entry on their side and a lot more programming on your side

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ