API too slow

beckykbeckyk Posts: 2Member

how do we speed up how quickly items move from LS Retail to Big Commerce? Our connector (Kosmos) tells us its a LS issue....

Tags:

2 comments

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 495Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator

Hey @beckyk,

The public API and its output something that is largely determined by the application developer.

Many things can determine the speed of an application including infrastructure, language and developer skills.

As someone who uses the Retail API for pulling items, it's quite fast!

Nonetheless, there are always room for improvements; the API is under constant development and we'd be happy to speak to the developer and explore options if they are having troubles regarding inventory sync :)

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• gregaricangregarican Posts: 281Member 

@beckyk The API response time depends on the operation. A POST operation (i.e. - pushing data into Lightspeed Retail) is 10 times more expensive in terms of API rate limiting than a GET operation (i.e. - pulling data from Lightspeed Retail). Rate limiting is outlined here --> https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/introduction/ratelimits/.

Depending on the time of day API operations are performed the rate limiting varies. Typically I've found worst case is 1 GET operation per second versus 1 POST operation every 4 seconds.