PST Exemption Form for BC Clothing Retailers

I wanted to share our solution for printing off PST Exemption Forms for customers purchasing adult sized clothing for youth under the age of 15. I'm not 100% sure this will save you in an audit, but we have been audited before, and this is all of the information that they asked for. I will say this, if the customer does not fill out all of the information on the receipt, you will have to pay the PST back to the government. So make sure that nothing is left out.

So instead of having a whole bunch of these sitting around, I created an non-inventory item called PST Exemption Form. Then added this under 'Display note on sales and receipt':

FULL LEGAL NAME OF PURCHASER:

FULL LEGAL NAME OF CHILD IF

DIFFERENT THAN PURCHASER:

I CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE INFOR-

MATION IS CORRECT AND THAT THE

CLOTHING AND/OR FOOTWEAR

DESCRIBED ABOVE IS BEING

PURCHASED FOR A CHILD UNDER

15 YEARS OF AGE.

I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF I MAKE A

FALSE STATEMENT TO AVOID PAYING

TAX, THE PROVINCIAL SALES TAX ACT

CHARGES A FINE OF UP TO $10,000

AND/OR IMPRISONMENT UP TO TWO

YEARS, IN ADDITION TO A PENALTY OF

25% OF THE TAX DUE AND AN ASSESS-

MENT FOR THE TAX THAT SHOULD HAVE

BEEN PAID

X: ________________________________________

DATE SIGNED: ______________________________________

When a customer is under the age of 15, or if we have an adult purchasing clothing/footwear for someone under the age of 15, we add this item to the sale. The above information will print out on the receipt for the customer to fill out. Any PST exempt sale we attach to a customer account as well.

You could add mailing address and phone number to the item to be extra safe, but we are hoping that having that information in the customer account will be enough.

Please let me know what you think,

Mike