Multiple Registers Issue

partyfairpartyfair Posts: 2Member
I have 3 ipads that are always logged into their own register. Simply Register 1, Register 2, & Register 3. Since a few days ago, they are automatically switching on their own and causing issues during sales. For example; Register 1 all of a sudden becomes Register 2, and now 2 ipads are on Register 2 causing problems when ringing a sale.

Anyone else seeing this?

9 comments

• addisongregoryaddisongregory Posts: 4Member
    Yes we have noticed this as well. It is very annoying, I don't know if it is a product of the app needing to be updated or iOS updates.
  • joebinnojoebinno Posts: 4Member
    Yeah, I called support months ago about this and as usual their response was "we are aware of this bug and we are working on it". Soooo how about you refund me for the additional register I paid for that i cant use.
  • JLC1990JLC1990 Posts: 22Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    Hi @partyfair , @addisongregory and @joebinno

In regards to the topic brought up here, I do have a bit more information on it.

Since the iPad uses an app rather than a browser, it does not lock to the particular iPad. That feature is only available on the browser version. If you have people switching back and forth between iPads, it would most likely log them into the register they last used, which is likely why the appear to be randomly switching. . The best practice is to have registers with visibly different names, and encourage the employees to verify which register they are logged in to when they sign on for a sale.

@joebinno In regards to your registers, you should still be able to use all of them, if possible, it might help have have employees stick on the same ipad to avoid the registers changing on the sales, or to have them double check when logging in, as the Register will display on the top left side of the screen. If they keep going back to the same iPad, it will log them in on the proper register, only when you start going back and forth do the registers change.

Hope this helps clear things up, have a great day!
    Cheers!,

Jordan L-C
    Lightspeed Retail Support
    Lightspeed HQ
  • addisongregoryaddisongregory Posts: 4Member
    Hi @JLC1990 we actually have switched to using PC's and the browser version and this still happens in that. Is it a product of each register using the same login, but then cashiers using their different pins? Should each register have its own specific login?
  • LanSuPDXLanSuPDX Posts: 10Member
    I still have an open ticket on the iPad version but now see that switching to PCs wouldn't solve that. We are really struggling with this issue as it's causing extra hours of reconciliation, and a fair amount of guesswork. Has anyone received an ETA on the bug fix yet?
  • WalkerWalker Posts: 1Member
    We are new to lightspeed--switched 10/1/2018.  We are experiencing the same issue on our pcs.  Though we checked the box which should lock a device to a specific register, we have the registers changing.  Obviously, the system ties a user to a register, not a device.  It is irritating to have to check, correct, reconcile, etc.  Please help us truly lock a device to a register, quickly!
  • gregaricangregarican Posts: 267Member 
    edited October 2018
    JLC1990 said:
    Hi @partyfair , @addisongregory and @joebinno In regards to the topic brought up here, I do have a bit more information on it. Since the iPad uses an app rather than a browser, it does not lock to the particular iPad. That feature is only available on the browser version. If you have people switching back and forth between iPads, it would most likely log them into the register they last used, which is likely why the appear to be randomly switching. . The best practice is to have registers with visibly different names, and encourage the employees to verify which register they are logged in to when they sign on for a sale. @joebinno In regards to your registers, you should still be able to use all of them, if possible, it might help have have employees stick on the same ipad to avoid the registers changing on the sales, or to have them double check when logging in, as the Register will display on the top left side of the screen. If they keep going back to the same iPad, it will log them in on the proper register, only when you start going back and forth do the registers change. Hope this helps clear things up, have a great day!
    To me I would think it would be the opposite. An app such as on an iPad would have local configuration settings, specifying the register number that should be default. Whereas a browser-based implementation (other than local and session storage cookies) would naturally be more free-floating and be looking at logical assignments as to a register number being associated with a particular logged in user.

In any event, we have tried locking things in LS Retail, but iPads and browsers alike wind up getting switched around in terms of shops and registers. Definitely not a smooth UX and makes it more difficult to audit and reconcile daily business.

Things such as this aren't really what would be posted on the LS ideas site. Since those are generally for enhancements and upgrades. This is a bug, plain and simple. Where is this on the development road map for getting fixed? This thread in an of itself goes back over 9 months...
  • VaroomVaroom Posts: 1Member
    Any update on this Lightspeed? This is a fundamental bug on the iPad app and needs to be addressed. We have three registers in the one store and any time a cashier logs onto a different register the sales get logged to the wrong one. Not sure why you designed it this way but the most obvious default to have is that each iPad is its on unique register. Please fix this ASAP before we end up moving to another supplier.
  • gregaricangregarican Posts: 267Member 
    I for one haven't heard anything about this. We still run into this periodically. We have multiple stores in one metro area. Sometimes sales staff ring at other stores. Randomly some sales wind up hitting the wrong store, let alone the wrong register (which we also see). 

If an iPad can have a default receipt printer, default barcode scanner, etc. associated with it somehow on the app, you would think a default store and register would be doable.