Theme design. . .

A bit new to all this. Is there a way or a tool that allows a more WYSIWYG approach to manipulating themes for eCom?

Best Answer

Answers

• gsharpgsharp Posts: 10Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    Hey Bruce, great question! While there isn't an app or anything that gives you a live view of the pages you are editing, I always have the backend up on 1/2 of my screen and the front end up in an incognito window on the other 1/2 of the screen. Incognito mode ensures that nothing is getting cached on my front end view. That way, I can make changes to my sites and click refresh, on the front end window, to see what my changes have produced.
  • VictoryForBruceVictoryForBruce Posts: 9Member
    My issue at the moment and the thing that's holding me back is this product matrix on the retail side.

While I realize that adding to the matrix as a group of products makes it easier for the folks on the backend, this "matrix" is creating issues on my end as an eCom developer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    In order to display correctly we had to re-matrix products. Got it figured out.

However, the link you provided is most helpful. Thank you.
    Any chance of the next version of "theme editor" adding more control of the way the page looks? You can change colors, but can't change fonts? Why? I realize it's controlled by the CSS code. Not everyone is a coder, and not everyone wants to be one, and most small companies cannot afford to call up a developer everytime they want to make what would be simple changes in most other online page editors.

I bet there would be A LOT more folks using this software for eCom if you added more user friendly features to the theme editor. Just saying.
    edited February 2018
    Some of the themes do offer the option to choose fonts from a drop down in the theme settings (Elements is one off the top of my head). Partners can choose to include multiple fonts in their theme. If you are not happy with the selection available in a particular theme, we encourage you to contact the theme partner or browse any other of our themes available on the theme store.
    Post edited by gsharp on
    I hope you didn't take my comment as a complaint. After we figured out the proper matrix stuff, my eCom page is looking nice.

I'm more of a graphic designer, not a coder. I can't be the only one to be placed in this position.

I suppose in my way of thinking, after building a few sites with WIX, it should be easier for the average person to do similar things inside the theme editor of eCom.

Certainly would be less scary for a lot of small business owners, thereby increasing the number of users.
    Hey Bruce, I know it's been awhile, but I came across an app that may help with WYSIWY called Dragdropr.
    I am using the free Absolut theme. I'd like to be able to change font sizes and distances between products. Any help docs for that?
  • JordyJordy Posts: 1Member
    Hi @VictoryForBruce, not sure if you already fixed it. But you could change it with some custom CSS, for example:

change the font size
    .body { font-size: 16px; }
    Change distance between products
    .products .product { min-height: 350px; }
  • StephDStephD Posts: 2Member
    Hi everyone, I'm also kind of new to eCom customization, can anyone tell me how I can access the files behind this bit of code so I can customize the design of matrix variant selection? (the part in bold)

<div class="product-option row">
            <div class="col-md-12">
              {{ product | html_product_configure | raw }}
            </div>
    </div>

The original drop-down list is terrible looking, I'd like to go for color dots or something like this.
    I've changed many things through the CSS but I can't find a way to access the PHP/Twig code...
    Thank you
  • JoeyJoey Posts: 177Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    Can you create a new post for this question? It might be useful for other people and thus easier to find.
    Thanks!
    eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ