Barcode Scanning using iPad Camera

johnwleejohnwlee Member Posts: 9

I have other apps that utilize the built-in iPad camera to scan barcodes however Lightspeed requires an external scanner (and the required one is $200+ and it gets very poor reviews online). I can understand wanting an external scanner in a retail environment but in a restaurant where it will really only be used to activate and redeem gift cards, it would be much more convenient (and cheaper) to be able to just scan using the iPad camera.

6 comments

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 56 moderator

Hi John,

While it is not possible to use the iPad camera to scan barcodes at present, there is an open feature request, so I will open a Helpdesk ticket for you and link it to that request.

Please note that the barcode scanner can also be used to add products to an order. Many people use these for bulk products, things like cigars or cans of soda, or those sold by weight where their electronic scales produce a barcode which is then read by the barcode scanner.

With your case linked to the feature request, you will be notified when this request is updated.

Lightspeed Restaurant tech support

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

Toll-free: 866-932-1801 | Montréal 514-907-1801

Australia: +61-2-8488-3146 | United Kingdom +44-20-3695-9599

• johnwleejohnwlee Member Posts: 9

Unfortunately the only scanner that it appears can be used is the Socket 700 which get atrocious reviews on Amazon (11 out of 33 reviews give this $200 scanner a 1 star rating). I use my iphone camera to scan barcodes very successfully with our inventory systems so there is no technical reason it cannot be used to scan gift card barcodes.

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 56 moderator

Hi John,

In order for this to happen, code needs to be written for it. There is an open feature request for this, so I will create a new ticket for you and link it to that feature request.

Best regards,

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 21

A year later, is there any code been written for this feature?

The ipad can natively scan QR codes from the camera app so surely resolution is not an issue.

edited February 26

Hi Shootersshed,

Alas, the product as you know it will not be able to scan barcodes using the camera.

Best regards,

Post edited by Katherine_Welford on

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 21

So is this why nothing is getting fixed on the current product? Because everyone is working on the next sell.

We only just got talked into this software ......