Barcode Scanning using iPad Camera

johnwleejohnwlee Member Posts: 9

I have other apps that utilize the built-in iPad camera to scan barcodes however Lightspeed requires an external scanner (and the required one is $200+ and it gets very poor reviews online). I can understand wanting an external scanner in a retail environment but in a restaurant where it will really only be used to activate and redeem gift cards, it would be much more convenient (and cheaper) to be able to just scan using the iPad camera.

12 comments

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 77 moderator

Hi John,

While it is not possible to use the iPad camera to scan barcodes at present, there is an open feature request, so I will open a Helpdesk ticket for you and link it to that request.

Please note that the barcode scanner can also be used to add products to an order. Many people use these for bulk products, things like cigars or cans of soda, or those sold by weight where their electronic scales produce a barcode which is then read by the barcode scanner.

With your case linked to the feature request, you will be notified when this request is updated.

Lightspeed Restaurant tech support

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

Toll-free: 866-932-1801 | Montréal 514-907-1801

Australia: +61-2-8488-3146 | United Kingdom +44-20-3695-9599

• johnwleejohnwlee Member Posts: 9

Unfortunately the only scanner that it appears can be used is the Socket 700 which get atrocious reviews on Amazon (11 out of 33 reviews give this $200 scanner a 1 star rating). I use my iphone camera to scan barcodes very successfully with our inventory systems so there is no technical reason it cannot be used to scan gift card barcodes.

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 77 moderator

Hi John,

In order for this to happen, code needs to be written for it. There is an open feature request for this, so I will create a new ticket for you and link it to that feature request.

Best regards,

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 114 

A year later, is there any code been written for this feature?

The ipad can natively scan QR codes from the camera app so surely resolution is not an issue.

edited February 26

Hi Shootersshed,

Alas, the product as you know it will not be able to scan barcodes using the camera.

Best regards,

Post edited by Katherine_Welford on

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

So is this why nothing is getting fixed on the current product? Because everyone is working on the next sell.

We only just got talked into this software ......

• gregoryhumegregoryhume Member Posts: 2

I was told by Lightspeed support that I was supposed to use my ipad camera for gift cards....scanning the QR Code....Is this not true????

• Fred_PoissantFred_Poissant Member, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 5 moderator

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the confusion. The option to scan codes for gift cards is indeed part of our app. You can turn it on when using the gift card payment type. Simply use the "Toggle camera" option when the app prompts for a card number.

The feature that has not been released regarding using the camera for scanning is the scanning of product barcodes, which is the reason we sell an external scanner.

If the only use you make of the scanning feature is for gift cards, then the ~200$ scanner is useless for you.

Hope this answers your questions and concerns!

Fred Poissant

Team Lead, Hospitality Support, Montréal

855-300-7108,

700 St-Antoine E, bureau 300, Montréal, QC H2Y 1A6,

lightspeedhq.com

Exactly, so why sell a $200 scanner when the ipad has a perfectly functional camera AND lightspeed has already coded it for barcodes!!!

Again this is a function that makes zero sense.

If the camera can scan barcodes, make it scan ALL barcodes in the software.

• Fred_PoissantFred_Poissant Member, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 5 moderator

Hi Shootersshed,

I can't speak on behalf of the product team on the specifics of the decision to have and external scanner, but from what we were told in support, the iPad's camera has issues with some formats that can be found on retail products.

It's in those situations that the S700 barcode scanner comes in handy.

Fred Poissant

855-300-7108,

lightspeedhq.com

The ipad has 8-12mp camera that can scan a QR or standard bar code from quite a distance... Are you seriously telling me its an Apple iPad hardware issue.....

I think the support team were making fun of you at the time maybe...

That answer is ridiculous.

Hi Shootershed,

As mentioned in my previous comment, the product team took the decision to not go forward with retail items barcode scanning, even though the iPad models we support have a strong enough camera to recognize such barcodes.

When product teams decide to move forward or not with a feature, they make they decision by taking on account not only the time, human resources and costs in creating the code that makes the feature, but also other factors like upkeep and hardware compatibility, just to name a few.

Our product team had their reasons to believe that this feature was not as important as other features being worked on at the moment. That being said, if you wish to ask our support team to add your name to customers who would like to see this feature being developed in the future, you can create a support ticket from the help center, or call us regarding it (both vectors are in my signature).

Note that our support team are not developers or product managers and cannot make the change themselves, nor can they guarantee that the request will be accepted by our product managers. They are also not the one changing statuses on development tasks, so no, they were not making fun of me at the moment you refer on your last post, as I do not take information on the development process of the app from tier one support.

Fred Poissant

855-300-7108,

lightspeedhq.com