USB Hub for Ipad

RevcycleRevcycle Member Posts: 1

As we investigate the idea of using an ipad as our main till we discovered that everything needs to connect via bluetooth except the receipt printer.

Ipad Pros support Usb-Hub and can run a corded keyboard and mouse and the right hub can power a scanner. Why does lightspeed kill USB Hub support?

Example I can run receipt printer if Ipad plugged into Pinter but if I plug the hub into Ipad and power off the printer then add a keyboard and mouse the printer becomes unresponsive. This is incredibly silly. Bluetooth battery powered accessories are less reliable then a usb hub.

3 comments

• roberto_panseraroberto_pansera Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 49 moderator
    edited November 2019

Hey @Revcycle !

What kind of cable is connected to the printer is the USB-A or USB-B? Could you share an image or a diagram explaining how the cables are connected to the HUB?

USB-A:

USB-B:

Regards,

Roberto

Post edited by roberto_pansera on
  • vz55vz55 Member Posts: 1

Has there been any progress on this issue ? I am exploring using iPad Pro's for my operation using USB-hubs for a more reliable and secure connection. If anyone has tried or can shed some light on the topic, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

• roberto_panseraroberto_pansera Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 49 moderator

Hey @Revcycle !

What kind of cable is connected to the printer is the USB-A or USB-B? Could you share an image or a diagram explaining how the cables are connected to the HUB?

USB-A:

USB-B:

The printer, to work with the iPad, needs to be connected in the USB-A, this is the MFi port (Made For iPhone/iPad).

Despite the recent changes in the iPad (including the USB-C port on iPad pros), this device does not behave like a computer. 

Regards,

Roberto