Internal Workorder Note disappears after sale is complete

andyandy Member Posts: 20

Hi

I can’t see a way of accessing any internal notes made on a Workorder after the job is complete and checked out. I’ve searched all the sales and customer records and can’t find them. It pretty much makes the feature completely useless. Without a way to turn it off it’s causing a lot of confusion.

It would be a great feature to have if it was implemented properly.

6 comments

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 449 

That's a great observation! Since we found WorkOrders to lack granular transactional history (e.g. - timestamped status changes, location changes, etc.) we typically use a third party repair tracker program that provides this functionality. Losing internal notes in the GUI really is a significant defect if someone needed to back-track a Done & Paid WorkOrder if there was an issue or something like that!

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 133 moderator
    edited February 10

Hey @andy!

Have you had a chance to try working with the new Internal Notes field in work orders?

A new function was launched in the last few weeks where you have the ability to add a note to the receipt as well as an internal note that never figures on the receipt. I think this would be a great way for you guys to do this without fear of it appearing on the receipt.

It may be possible that you'll have to go into the Print Templates section of the Settings and replace your existing template with the updated template available here so it appears as wanted.

For more information, you can consult our Leaving Receipt Notes and Internal Notes documentation!

If you're telling me that these are disappearing, I'd invite you to call in to support so we can thoroughly investigate this happening, as it shouldn't disappear.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• andyandy Member Posts: 20

Hi @VanessaD

Thanks for your reply. The feature your are referring to is what I'm talking about.

Any notes written in the internal notes field on a workorder are inaccessible once the work order is finished and the sale complete. The receipt note field and internal receipt note field both persist on a sales record, but, the only work order notes that persist are the 'standard' notes that are rolled into a line item description on a completed sale record. No historical record of internal work order notes on a sale surely makes no sense?

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 133 moderator

Hey @andy @andy

This is almost to be expected as the work order itself is a type of placeholder for a future sale.

When sales are processed in Lightspeed, the notes will transfer to the sale as the items/services/ fees all get added to the sale itself, then transfered to the finalized sale Id.

As a workaround, you could always add pertinent notes as a Miscellaneous 0$ item to the work order or put it in the Description section of the work orders. This is the same as the previous notes function as they all get migrated to the sale.

In the meantime, I'll note down your request to have the internal notes also stick to the work orders even after it's been transmitted to a sale! Thanks for your feedback!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• andyandy Member Posts: 20

Just revisiting this one.

Nothing about the behaviour is to be expected. While very much needed, the feature and its behaviour in its current form just doesn't make any sense and is totally unusable.

Hard not to sound like a total *&^% writing the above. Apologies if it comes across as a bit strong!

The Receipt Notes and Internal Receipt Notes fields both persist as a permeant record on every transaction. The system transferring Work Order Notes and Internal Workorder Notes to these fields when a sale is complete would surely make sense as the solution? Its certainly how I would expect it to work from a UX point of view.

• imarshimarsh Member Posts: 1

Just jumping on to agree with Andy. I work at a bike shop and this makes this feature much less useful. I appreciate lightspeed adding new features but if work order internal notes were automatically transferred to receipt internal notes this would resolve the issue.