Cash Rounding for Canada, we do not have 0.01 aka pennies

HamptonHampton Member Posts: 24

In Canada the lowest denomination in coins we have are 0.05 , does anyone have a solution for rounding cash sales +/- ?

Lightspeed Retail does not have a feature to do this automatically yet.

Tags:

15 comments

• BeckaBecka Member Posts: 10

Hi Hampton! We've been having the same issue...

From what I've gathered, there is a code fix that they've implement for places like Belgium, where they are required by law to show the penny rounding on the receipts. However that doesn't adjust it in your system, just on the receipts, so your accounting is still always out.

When I talked to a rep about it, she suggested creating two "Non-Inventory Items" that are non-taxable and don't allow discounts. Call them "Penny Rounding +" and "Penny Rounding -" and set one with price of 0.01 and one with a price of -0.01. You then add them as a custom menu button at the top of the sales screen, and use accordingly until you get to the round figure.

This seems super complicated, but it should work. I haven't tried it yet, and I don't know what our accountant will think of it, but I'll try and update here when I know.

If anyone has a real solution instead of a workaround, let me know!

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 69 moderator

Hey @Hampton @Becka

We can assure you that it's still something we're working on implementing into the system moving forward. I'll personally send you an email once this gets implemented officially. 

The workaround for this is to create customized buttons for your sales tab so that you can easily click to either add or remove pennies based on the functional total on the right of the screen. 

This is what it would look like in a sale. (seen below) 

On the receipt when it prints out, this is what it would appear as. 

To do this, you can follow these steps: 

1) Create a non-inventory item with the value

- Go to Inventory > New Item

- Change Single to Non-Inventory and uncheck the Taxable option

- Add a name and value associated with the offer

- Save Changes 

2) Create a Button in your Sales Tab 

- Go to Settings > Custom Menus > Sales Tab

- Add a title 

- Change the type to Add Item(s) 

- Choose the color of your choice

- Click Save Changes

- Scroll down on the same page and find the button

- Click the pen

- Link the non-inventory Item you just created

And voila! You now have a fully functional button that can be applied to the sales of your choice. 

For more information on Custom Menus, you can always consult our A Detailed Overview of Custom Menus or our Creating Custom Menus page on our Support Website! 

Let me know if you have any other questions about this!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• BeckaBecka Member Posts: 10

Thanks @VanessaD - appreciate the quick feedback and the email update when it arrives. Any idea of a timeline for this?

• HamptonHampton Member Posts: 24

Thanks for all the conversation this. We need a solution for retails as these work around are cumbersome. Our front line staff should not have to even think about this. I look forward to this being resolved.

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 382 

Speaking of POS math, this is a side question. But since @VanessaD responded on here I thought I'd ask. What is the game plan for properly handling Tennessee's tiered sales taxes? I posed the question back in January and still don't see a working solution --> https://community.lightspeedhq.com/en/discussion/2841/tennessee-tiered-tax-rates#latest.

Hey @gregarican!

So this is a great question, it's something we've forwarded to our devlopment team since, if I'm not mistaken, this tierd tax requires you to change the tax rate if 1 item comes up to a particular sum but not other items?

Right now, if I'm not mistaken, this needs to be updated manually. As I mentioned, though, our team is potentially working on this. Even in tech support, they don't advise us on the projects they're working on in case their go-to-market date changes as well as to assure enhanced security.

Same thing for @Becka & @Hampton . The team is most likely working on it but we won't be made aware of the launch date until maybe 1 week from now.

If you need us to send you an email (because I realize that I don't have access to your email here) can you call-in to retail support and ask for this? They'll most likely offer the workaround and tag your ticket to the enhancement request. This will assure your email when the solution is in place!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

• NeilNeil Member Posts: 11 ✭

I'm sorry but this is ludicrous. A POS system which started out in Canada back in 2006, introduced their new "Retail POS" platform in 2013 the same year cash rounding came to Canada and STILL seven years later does not support it.

Even better the work around is to sell products on the invoice called Penny + and Penny - to off set the sales total !?!

This is something that LS needs to admit during each sales call with new prospects. If they had of told me on the call before moving to Retail "cash rounding has been on the road map for the last seven years" I would have laughed and left the call.

Better yet why hasn't someone made a website the contains a true list of pros and cons?

There's so much potential with this software platform. I believe with some fresh minds and a healthy investment to development things would get much better.

@Neil @Becka please vote on above, Thanks

edited February 12

To me it seems backwards --- for basic functionality to require paid customers to submit an idea into a virtual suggestion box. For Canadian customers who've paid for a product that doesn't properly calculate what a customer owes and is owed, that's a software defect. Same with our situation. Where we cannot implement Lightspeed Retail at our new Tennessee storefront since the software cannot correctly calculate sales tax. Again, not looking for a shiny new feature such as automatically e-mailing customers suggested similar products after a sale. Looking to perform basic math.

If the only route that's available is popular vote, then it is what it is I suppose. But this would be like Microsoft Excel not properly applying formulas, so calculations are incorrect for user spreadsheets. I'm fairly certain that Microsoft would release a patch to address the issue, and not encourage their paid customers to up-vote as a great new idea. 😒

@Hampton did you read that post even. Look at what Lightspeed said back in early 2013.

If they can't get it done in seven years my little vote sure wont help. Lightspeed Retail needs some serious development.

Hey @Neil

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we understand this has been a request since 2013. I can assure you that, as technical support rep, I've received this feedback vocally many times and tag each and every case with the enhancement request.

Customer feedback is incredibly important to us and to make the best impact, you could always call-in to our support team with your request so we can generate a ticket tagged with the open case with our development team.

A custom workflow you can take on to save time is to create a custom receipt template. It makes it so that the penny rounding is a simple visualisation on the receipt rather than the software, leaving nothing additional to do for your reps!

Our current Belgium custom template offers this as part of the language but the language may not be compatible with the English Custom template and would need to be implemented, although your receipts may throw your reporting off as the base software wouldn't recognize the changes done to the visualisation of the receipt.

All this to say that it's quite a large task for us to implement this as we need to overhaul the entire reporting structure of the software to get it to match, thus why adding customized buttons with the manual flow is the best alternative workflow. The items are then added to the sale and forces the totals to line up with both the receipt and the reporting.

Your feedback hasn't gone unnoticed! I've set into motion a list of conversations that could potentially help keep pushing it forward.

Thanks for your dedication!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

@VanessaD

"we understand this has been a request since 2013"

"we can generate a ticket tagged with the open case with our development team"

"A custom workflow you can take on"

"but the language may not be compatible with the English Custom template and would need to be implemented, although your receipts may throw your reporting off"

"All this to say that it's quite a large task for us to implement"

If I understand you correctly, you confirm Lightspeed has been aware since 2013 of this issue.

If I report it with support it will remind them this has been on going.

A custom workflow is offered which will break reporting functions and most likely cause other unforeseen accounting issues.

This is too much work for lightspeed to code 7 years later without a fix. Get the hint, we aren't fixing it.

I don't mean to come across as mocking and certainly appreciate the frustration you must face as a Tech support rep. I believe your answer explains exactly the outcome we can expect.

edited February 13

What's ironic that Lightspeed is assumedly based in Canada, so it hits close to home.

The "idea" of properly handling negative inventory (e.g. - selling an item at one location that was seen as being available at a different site) was addressed after a little over 5 years. Although the same issue was present in Lightspeed Onsite years before that --> http://ideas.lightspeedretail.com/forums/233165-lightspeed-retail/suggestions/5719510-allow-negative-inventory-so-automatic-inventory-ad.

The bottom line is that properly testing and vetting any proposed software solution is critical. In depth and against any/all scenarios. We were fortunate in that our 14-day free trial was extended a few times. So we were aware of most of the wrinkles.

Post edited by gregarican on

@Neil - 2013 is a bit long to wait. I hope the capital LightSpeed is raising will speed things up!