Layaways

gbratsblondiegbratsblondie Member Posts: 3

How do you accept payments manually on Layaways? I have read the tutorial, but I must be dumb or doing something wrong because it doesn't seem to work. Oh, and can you change the date on the layaways to an earlier date if you missed getting it in on the day of the sale?

18 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 714 moderator

Hey @gbratsblondie!

You can always back-date the sale by going into the sale card (which you can access in the All Transactions report) and find the change date/time.

With this, you can go back on the day it was initially processed on.

For the Deposits for Layaways, you can consult the article I've created about >>walkthroughs on Deposits <<.

It shows the breakdown of what happens when payments are taken, as well as explains how the front and back-end operate when this happens.

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• Catherine_FleischerCatherine_Fleischer Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2

I think the way layaways are set up is not intuitive. Can you tell from this screen shot that this person has made one payment of $700? I think this should be your "home" screen.... it should give you the full status right here. Looking at this I would say that this customer owes the full amount...

Totally agree with Shootersshed! We ended up charging a customer twice because the first charge was not able to be seen. I had to spend more than an hour with Lightspeed Help (most of which was on hold) to find evidence of the double charge and then understand how they set up the layaways. It still really does not make any sense to me, hence the verbiage here.

Hey @Catherine_Fleischer & @Shootersshed

Deposits aren't linked with the layaway transaction because the funds are considered a liability until they've been assigned to a completed sale. 

Due to this, the layaways are also incomplete sale within themselves where the inventory is stored away to the side for the sake of reserving it. (as I'm sure you already know) 

So if you were to add Customer X to a sale and add items for the sake of reserving them, the moment you select the "layaway all" button, they then appear under a tab called Layaway that's separate from the sale tab.

From there, to add a deposit, you need to be on an empty sale since it gets added to the customer name, not the items that are awaiting to be turned into a sale. 

If we quickly go back to the customer's profile to see the back-end behaviour of how this works, you'll see the Layaways tab and the Account tab. 

The customer's account will be where the deposits will appear once taken, as it's stored until it can be attached to a sale. The Layaway tab will simply detail what items were stored for the customer for easy retrieval. 

Let's go back to the sale and add the deposit, like usual: 

Click the Payment and Add Deposit buttons to then add a fee to the sale. The reason we're adding a fee to an empty sale is since the system won't allow us to finish sales where payments are greater than the total owing (in this case, 0$). 

When reading the receipt, you'll notice that it breaks it down by the Sale ID, but be mindful that the sale is only for the deposit since the inventory items have yet to leave the system. 

Going back into the back end to see how the system reacts under the customer's profile: 

Notice the value is now stored here? 

That means that when the customer comes in to pay for it and you add their name to the sale, the full value owing will display. 

So when they come in and you add their name, a layaway tab appears. Click it and it'll become blue, select the Complete or Complete All buttons if you rather only sell 1 or all the items under layaways. 

When you do this, the layaway totals and Total get merged and show the full owing balance. 

Click the Payment button and you'll notice the value should be stored under the customer's account. Click MAX, then pay for the rest however the customer wants to pay. 

Hopefully this helps better understand the processing of a layaway with deposits! 

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

@Catherine_Fleischer

If anything isn't clear when reading this, feel free to let me know!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 702 

After going through that rundown of how to manage layaways at the POS, my head is woozy. 😂

For financial reporting purposes we are required to break out customer deposits that are 1) attached to real inventory, 2) store credit that is floating and not associated with anything. Besides how un-intuitive handling layaways seems to be in Lightspeed, for reporting purposes it puts us in hot water with third party audits. Which indeed happens annually.

Hey @gregarican ,

I can definitely understand the frustration behind this. I'd say the key here is to understand how the software operates to know exactly where to find your data easily.

As it is, deposits are linked to the customer's profile (or Account as we call it) and not the items on layaway themselves since they're considered liabilities and not profit. If the items were linked to the deposit, it would be considered a sale and profit in the software, but no items will have left the inventory to attest to this, causing more confusion.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 120 

You are thinking like an accounts person. NOT a retail sales person.

If I have a person pay a deposit on 2x 3 month laybys and also 2 repairs that will take 2 months, there is no way to tell which deposit is for which is absolutely ridiculous.

Then every time I print a retail sales slip, it prints both work orders and both laybys together everytime.

Absolutley ridiculous, particularly if the layby is for a surprise gift for a partner (or their boss) for example.

Also seriously, look at the way the setup was just explained....... 7 screenshots....

TLDR, I have a retail store to run.

edited March 4

Hey!

I'm here to educate customers on how to use the system so that there is no mystery behind how things are done.

If you prefer learning with videos, feel free to consult our Help centre article on Managing Credit Accounts and Creating Layaways.

Of course, as usual, your feedback was already noted and added to list of enhancement a while back, because I 100% see where you're coming from and definitely see the advantage of keeping the credit accounts linked to the items wanted.

Hope you have a great week!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• jewelcamjewelcam Member Posts: 17

@ VanessaD Hi these folks are just trying to help your software be better. Lightspeed has a lot of good points, but the layaway process is not well thought out for everyday retail users. Yes, we understand that the items on layaway are a liability. Your right you treat layaways just like "Charge Accounts." Every POS system I have worked with in the past does not bundle/treat layaways like "Accounts" as lightspeed does. What we are trying to share with the Lightspeed developers is to think of a layaway like this:

The customer puts A item, B item, C item on layaway they pay X down. X is attached to this layaway ticket, however, the layaway does not get finalized until the full balance is received for this ticket. Therefore, A item, B item, and C item remain a liability until paid in full, When the final payment is made it becomes a "Sale." And the ticket auto changes from a layaway to a "Completed Sale."

This is how most POS layaways work that I have worked with. It's easy and always shows the running balance for the attached items on the ticket. Items can even be removed from the layaway and the running balance is auto-adjusted because the items and the money received are attached to one ticket.

Again all these folks are trying to say is the Layaways could be much easier/faster to work with if rethought out. And if you would take their advice you would have a much better POS system and you would get more people to buy Lightspeed.

Jewelcam I get the feeling that the developers are all working on a new product called "Market" that they have in Beta now and Lightspeed Retail is soon to be out of date so this is why nothing is getting changed.

I would assume that given this is a subscription service, it was a finished and polished product, but apparently it's now looking like an afterthought.

Hey @jewelcam ,

I totally hear you ! It's not the first time (or the last time I'm sure haha) that I hear this particular feedback and assure you that I note it down at every opportunity I have so we can get as much customer push as we can.

Enjoy your week!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

@Shootersshed ,

Here's some extra documentation on Market so you can get a better idea of what this particular software will do. It's open to everyone to try and is not replacing Lightspeed retail.

The Lightspeed Supplier Market provides the opportunity for a brand or distributor to market their products to independent retailers throughout North America who use the Lightspeed point of sale.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

They really need to finish this software before they look at bringing new software to market....

edited May 14

Hey @Shootersshed ,

I understand the perception, however these are things that have been in the works and requested by merchants, just like your requests. It takes quite a long time to be able to output these kinds of changes.

As we go, we implement new things based on the older, more obsolete functions that customer feedback drove to help make the experience better overall.

I assure you that you're feedback isn't forgotten in the shuffle!

Post edited by VanessaD on

———

All the best!

Vanessa

Vanessa D.....

Years? There have been requests for YEARS that are still not taken care of?

Early on in this discussion thread I posted a screenshot of how un-user friendly layaways are. It is clear that the Lightspeed software developers don't have retail experience, but where is even the common sense? I should be able to see in ONE screen - the customer name, the layaway item(s), the total cost of the item(s), the dated list of payments, and the remaining balance. I have had to call the help line at least 4 times now because of how ridiculous the layaway component is laid out (hmm... reverse Polish notation?) and continues to go without being improved.

OMG. Please just fix it.

Hey @Catherine_Fleischer

We've got teams dedicated to these types of advancements within Retail and they have roadmaps already set up for the upcoming year. I've noted your feedback, as it is important to get, and sent it to our team for potential review.

Thank you for your patience!

———

All the best!

Vanessa