Payment with coins

IrminIrmin Member Posts: 3

We are building a webshop that will work with a special paymentmethode. The costumer will pay with coins. They will earn coins in their account, which will be in a separate database. That database will be connected with the webshop thru the API connection. When a customer buys a product in the webshop, the webshop needs to check with the external database if the customer has enough coins in their account. When the order has been completed, the amount of coins spend, needs to be communicated to the external database.

Do you have documentation for our IT department on how to build this?

Also the webshop will need to be communication in coins in stead of euro's. I assume we can adjust this in the code of the thema?

3 comments

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 255 moderator

Hi @Irmin,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately it is not possible to pay in a currency other than the default currency in the Shop. In the last step of the ordering process (checkout) it is not possible to change this currency in combination with the offered payment methods.

Or do you mean by coins, building your own loyalty system. Where people can earn coins and when they buy something your middle ware creates a discount code base on the coins they saved. Also, here will be paid in default currency.

I hope this helps.

• IrminIrmin Member Posts: 3
    edited March 26

@LucienVersendaal

I do mean by coins, building a loyalty system. But the loyalty system is built in a separate database.

We prefer to show the pricing of the products in coins in stead of currency. So it says on the website that a t-shirts costs 10 coins. During the order process the system will check if the costumer has 10 coins in his account and if he does, then he is able to place the order.

If this is not possible, can you give me more information about what is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by Irmin on
  • LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 255 moderator

Hi @Irmin,

Unfortunately it is not possible to pay in a currency other than the default currency in the Shop. The checkout is a protected page which you cannot edit or change. What you can do is let the customers save coins when they purchase something for example and when the customer decides to "pay" with their saved loyalty coins, you can create a discount code in the background(your middleware) with the value of these coins and add this to the checkout.

For your information, Lightspeed is rolling out their own loyalty system soon.