Should security be considered a feature?

FlowFlow Member Posts: 6

Lightspeed's user roles/permissions either gives a user access to the cash drawer or no access at all. If a user has access they can open the cash drawer at ANY time without restriction or logs. If they have no access, the drawer does not open even if the person is cashing a bill.

How do other users deal with this, especially in fast paced environments where you have many people who need to access the register for change etc?

Is it just me or is something wrong here? You always hear that you need to have systems in place that keep honest people honest as theft in the industry tends to be opportunistic. Every POS system I have used has better implemented access controls.

I have been in touch with Lightspeed and I am told they cannot give a time frame for these features or if they will be implemented.

Should this really be considered a "feature"? I have many more quibbles relating to basic "features" that are missing but the fact that this one doesn't seem to be a priority is worrying.

What does everyone think?

7 comments

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 43 moderator
    edited May 1

Hello Flow,

As you know, we do have open requests for this, but given the increased demand for this, and as per our project manager this is on the short term roadmap, so this issue should be resolved soon. We will keep you informed.

Best regards,

Post edited by Katherine_Welford on

Lightspeed Restaurant tech support

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

Toll-free: 866-932-1801 | Montréal 514-907-1801

Australia: +61-2-8488-3146 | United Kingdom +44-20-3695-9599

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 43 moderator

Hello Flow!

Please be aware that we have created a new user role called “Allow open cash drawer from Extra menu”. If users have "Allow open cash drawer" but not the other, the till will only open for cash transactions. Only users with the “Allow open cash drawer from Extra menu” role will be able to open the cash drawer without processing a transaction.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

• FlowFlow Member Posts: 6

Thank you!

I totally missed this update.

Also, I know sometimes that other "minor" changes are done such as this security role. Is there a place that these updates that are not major features are posted. Sometimes these little things might be very useful.

Thanks

Hi Flow!

You can actually check our release notes here:

Let me know if you need anything else!

Cheers,

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

Hi,

Not sure if its a bug of sorts, but I notice for the updated cash drawer permissions that after removing the option to open cashdrawer in extras, the users were still able to do so.

What I had to do was remove the user role for each employee and then add them back for it to work as intended.

Just thought I should let you know.

Kind regards.

Hi Flow,

Good catch! I will let the gang know and we'll see if we can shore that up.

Best regards,

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center