Creating/deleting shipments on an existing eCom order

ErikDakodaErikDakoda Member Posts: 1

In Lightspeed eCom all new orders are created with a single shipment that includes all of the products in the order. I am not sure how to fulfill a partial order with just a single order item via the API. The Shipment and ShipmentProduct endpoints don't support either POST (for creating) or DELETE methods. Thank you for any help!

12 comments

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 286 moderator
    edited May 14

Hi @ErikDakoda,

Thank you for contacting us.

At this moment partial shipments are not available for API. When you have a partial shipment you will need to do this through the UI in the back office.

Also it is not possible to edit or delete shipments when the order is created.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

• JeroenRJeroenR Member Posts: 16

Hi Lucien,

I too would like to be able to update the shipment by API, at least set the status and the trackCode. I am new to this, so I don't know if there is a way to request or build extensions?

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 286 moderator

Hi @JeroenR,

I was reading my answer again, I noticed that I made as mistake.

I told you it was not possible to modify or delete a shipment. What I mean by this is that the current shipment can be replaced by another one. What is possible is that the current shipment can be updated, for example to add a tracking code. Here you can find how to update a shipment https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/ecom/endpoints/shipment/#put-update-a-shipment

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

that will work.

Perfect!

It turns out that most orders have a shipment item I can update, but for some reason one out of ten or so doesn't have a shipment item:

JSON Response:

{{  "shipments": [] }}

What causes this?

This is because the shipment isn't created yet.

I get that. The question is, why do some orders have a shipment created and others don't. I can add a shipment manually, but that is too much work.

How can we get the API extended so it can add one (or more) shipments to an existing order.

This depends on a setting in the back office. It could happen that when a client order something the client didn't do the payment for any reason. If you are creating an invoice after the payment, then there is no invoice and shipment. So to change this, you'll need to change this setting to Direct so the invoice and shipping are created even if the invoice isn't paid.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, will discuss this with the customer

The company doesn't want to send invoices from the website to the customer, nor allow them to be downloaded. Invoices are generated from the financial system. Is it possible to prevent sending/downloading invoices if 'Create' is set to 'Direct'?

I've tested this out when the setting is set to "Direct". When going to Settings -> Workflow you'll find these settings:

If you put these turn these off no notifications will be sent to the customer, also not to the merchant. But the shipment will be created, even if the invoice isn't paid yet.

Are the emails(confirmation, paid, invoice, cancelled) coming from the financial system as well?