Wrong email-address when importing orders

flexjolyflexjoly Member Posts: 31
edited May 28 in Development

Hi,

Our client had to edit the email-address of an order/customer. But when loading the order from the ecom-api, the old email-address is in the data and not the corrected address.

When I login the backend of the webshop, I see the corrected email-address in the order. But the old one seems to be still in the system somewhere. For when searching on the old email-address.... the order comes up showing the corrected emailadress.... Even worse: when searching on the corrected address NO orders are found.....

Can you please fix this?!

Thanks in advance.

Lydia

11 comments

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 413 moderator

Hi @flexjoly,

Thank you for contacting us.

When an order is placed, you can't edit the information of that order. This has always been this way, also in the back office you can't edit this information after the order has been placed and has an invoice.

You'll see when you change the email of the customer the email doesn't change on the invoice as well.

Unfortunately this is not a bug, we've chosen that current orders and therefore also invoices cannot be adjusted, in order to prevent possible fraud. And I understand that changing an email seems like a very small thing but this can have major consequences.

I hope you will understand this

• flexjolyflexjoly Member Posts: 31
    edited May 29

Hi Lucien,

Well that is just the strange thing about it.

The email inside the order seems to have changed... for the new email is shown at the order in the backend... But indeed the invoice shows the old emailaddress.....

Fraud.... yep I do understand that, although imho the shop-admin or the customer should have edit-rights to the personal info. But it needs some security checks.

But because the new email-address IS shown in the order (not in the invoice) our client (shop-admin) thinks that he corrected the email-address... so that is not ok then....

Searching on the old email-address:

The corrected email-address INSIDE the order:

Old address in invoice:

So what can I tell our client?? 😜

Greetz, Lydia

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 413 moderator
    edited May 29

Just what I was mentioning before you cannot edit order information when there is already an invoice created.

So a quick way to get this working is:

• update customer information with correct data(email, address etc.)
    • duplicate order after duplicate CHANGE CUSTOMER
    • select the user that needs to added
    • you will see the email is updated now
    • after selecting the "new" customer Convert to Order
    • cancel the old order

I hope this helps

edited May 29

Hi Lucien,

I do not know how the shop-admin updated the email address.

The only thing I know is that someone did and that it is SHOWN in the original order (no duplicate), but NOT in the invoice and NOT in the api. And so the shop-owner asked me to fix our script so that it would import the corrected email....

The information DIFFERS between the order and the invoice. To show this, I made the screenshots in my previous comment.

I do not need to know how this can be done. My client, shop-admin, handles that.

But my conclusion is that the information inside Lightspeed differs....

I will try to summarize:

To me this is not correct. 😳

Greetz, Lydia

edited May 29

The button 'change customer' gives the shop-admin the idea that he can edit the info of the customer for the current order.

I don't know if lightspeed show a warning that the changes will NOT affect the current order. I can not try this myself.

The only thing I know is that someone did and that it is SHOWN in the original order (no duplicate), but NOT in the invoice and NOT in the api. And so the shop-owner asked me to fix our script so that it would import the corrected email....

The information DIFFERS between the order and the invoice. To show this, I made the screenshots in my previous comment.

This is exactly what I mean, the email which the order has been placed cannot be changed and will therefore end up on the invoice regardless of whether the customer's email is changed. There are 2 emails in an order:

1 - Order email = email with which the order was created(cannot be changed).

2 - Customer email(in order response) = email of the customer (can be changed, but will not affective on invoices, reason are above).

3 - API = shows both the emails

edited May 30

The button 'change customer' gives the shop-admin the idea that he can edit the info of the customer for the current order.

The button 'change customer' is not in an order, only in an offer

I don't know if Lightspeed show a warning that the changes will NOT affect the current order. I can not try this myself. This told when they were onboarded to the platform, this is one of the main rules, what's not possible.

Post edited by LucienVersendaal on
    edited May 29

Hi Lucien,

Thanks for your patience 😬

I think I understand what you tell me, but I seem to see other things instead of what you tell me. 😨😫

This is the original order at the moment with:

• status = finished
    • the order has an invoice-number ('Factuur')
    • the button 'change customer' is visible and clickable
    • the NEW email-address is shown which is different then the email on the invoice

Is this how it should work? If so, this seems to conflict to your answer, hence the confusion of my client.

Thanks so far!!!

Lydia

Post edited by flexjoly on

Hi @flexjoly,

No problem at all, we're here to help each other 😀

I get the confusion, sometimes it is. But for now the most important is to help our customer. So what I recommend doing on this point is to DM me the URL to that specific order and will attach the new customer like I was saying above. Please ask the merchant if this is okay, so everything is looking good in the order by duplicating it and cancel the "wrong" order? This can all been done without noticing the customer(optional).

Please let me know.

Hi Lucien,

Thanks for your proposal. But we do not want to duplicate the customer-account and/or order, sorry.

Maybe I was not clear enough in my earlier question. I said 'what can I tell my client?' but I said that rhetorically..... 🙄 (sorry for the confusion!)

Because I DO think this is a BUG in lightspeed.....

So can you please look into my latest comment: https://community.lightspeedhq.com/en/discussion/comment/13305/#Comment_13305. Is the screenshot how it is supposed to work?

Greetz, Lydia

@LucienVersendaal Can you please answer my final question also?