Payments if Lightspeed goes offline

RockoRocko Member Posts: 5

Hi,

1. Can I take a credit card payment if Lightspeed is down with integrated payments?
  2. And also do a payment if the internet is down? Some integrated systems allow a stored payment type, obviously its not secure in that it only checks the card once back up but sometimes its a necessary gamble?

3 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 166 moderator

Hey @Rocko ,

If the internet or lightspeed gets interrupted for any given of time, payments are not going to be made possible via your usual channels.

You're right about the stored payments being something that isn't entirely secure, and we agree. We're very big on making sure to stay PCI compliant, which means that storing credit cards for future use in the system is discouraged.

As an alternative solution, I'd suggest processing payments through manual entry, either via the gateway provided to you by your processor or directly through a tablet/cellphone using cellular data (with Lightspeed Payments).

This particular method isn't great if you want to continue using all your hardware, but will allow you to continue using your business in case this happens.

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• RockoRocko Member Posts: 5

So I can do a manual entry even if Lightspeed is offline but as long as i have internet? I have Lightspeed payments so use them as a merchant.

I dont mind just catching up the invoice later in Lightspeed but I didnt know I can manually enter an amount and take a credit card if Lightspeed is down?

How do I do that?

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 166 moderator

Hey @Rocko

If you're doing a manual entry, you'll need to make sure to have items in the system to trigger an owing balance. This will trigger the manual entry option to work.

This means you'll need to create sales in the Lightspeed portal (meaning you'll need internet access) and then process the cards via manual entry since you won't be able to push them to the terminal.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)