Employee Discount - Price Rule Markup

shoehnshoehn Member Posts: 37

I’m looking for some help or thoughts on creating an Employee Discount Price Rule. 

We offer our employees a Staff Discount of Wholesale + 10%.  The issue is that the Lightspeed Markup option when creating a Price Rule creates the markup off of the “Average Cost” that is showing in the system and not the “Default Cost”.  For our shop, “Average Cost” is often less than Wholesale/Default Cost because of the earned discounts that we have with many of our suppliers.  In this case the “Employee Discount” dollar amount that Lightspeed comes up is less than Wholesale.

Eg. A pair of pants has a wholesale of $50 but we have an earned discount of 20% with our supplier so we only pay $40 for them. 

The Employee Discount should be $50 + 10% (Wholesale + 10%) = $55

But… Lightspeed uses the “Average Cost” in it’s calculation so it figures out the Employee Discount as $40 + 10% (Average Cost + 10%) = $44

So in this scenario the Employee pays $11 less than they should. 

Is there a way to get Lightspeed to create a markup off of the “Default Cost” and not the “Average Cost” that the system calculates? Or does anyone know of a work around to get Lightspeed to use the system defined “Default Cost” in any sort of calculation? 

I tried creating a Pricing Level and populating it with the Wholesale Cost of the items but Lightspeed won’t use a Price Level for a Markup, it seems programed to only use the “Average Cost” 😔

Any help would be much appreciated.

4 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 704 moderator

Hey @shoehn ,

By default, there is no way to create a price rule with the default cost. As an alternative solution, we could suggest that you create a Pricing level (by going into settings> Pricing levels) and add the default cost+ 10% value into it.

From there, you could create a price rule using that pricing level! You can use this article on explaining how the pricing levels will work.

If you'd like to get all the steps required on setting this up, feel free to call-in to our support team!

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• shoehnshoehn Member Posts: 37

Hi Vanessa, if I'm correct, this method would mean doing a manual calculation for every new item that we add to the system and adding it to a Price Level?

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 704 moderator

Hey @shoehn ,

You could always use excel and export a list of your inventory with default costs, and do a calculation to add 10% to the default cost value.

To get more specifics on how to do this, I'd suggest to take a look online on how to make these kinds of custom-calculations in excel.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• shoehnshoehn Member Posts: 37

Thanks Vanessa, I am very familiar with the export and import function so this could technically be a work around but it's still an extra process that eats up time. It just seems silly that using the Default Price to construct a Price Level is not available.

Thanks for the advice