How to do full inventory count with current back orders?

Hello everyone,

So here's my pickle. We do quarterly inventory counts of our entire warehouse. The issue is that we have a regular influx of POs coming in that fulfill backorders (skus that inventory have gone negative). So, we'll sell an item past 0 because we have such a quick turnaround from our vendors that our back orders get fulfilled fairly quickly.

The issue arises when we do an inventory count. The inventory count will 0 all inventory first before adding the new inventory. This will then mess up the POs we have coming in that will fulfill the back orders.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I need to keep track of the backorders that we need to fulfill while also counting everything and getting the inventory on track. I'm not sure if I need to do two different processes or a certain order of things.

We cannot stop the ordering or avoid the overselling and fulfilling back orders.

I'd love some input on this!

5 comments

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 702 

This sounds like a business practice issue, before approaching the behavior of the LS Retail inventory count. If there is zero on-hand for an item then it should be ordered, should arrive, and should be received into inventory. Before selling it to a customer in POS.

Aside from that, the actual inventory count routine (https://retail-support.lightspeedhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/229129948-Doing-inventory-counts) doesn't _have to_ zero out any items that weren't scanned. Unless I'm missing something...

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 714 moderator

Hey @dunlapbrad ,

As it is, @gregarican is correct when it comes to the be business practice you're taking on not necessarily coinciding with the way that the negative inventory is treated in retail.

Since this is specific to your business, you could always call in to our support team to have us help you figure out if there's a better workflow to be taken or if there's a way to make this work depending on the behaviours of the software.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• dunlapbraddunlapbrad Member Posts: 2

@gregarican Hey there. The issue is that our business model allows us to sell past 0 since we have such a quick turnaround on products. So, yes, ideally we would always have stock of an item and if it hit 0, it would turn off. The problem is that then doens't let us know the actual demand and will have us lose orders when we're only 1-2 days from getting in our shipments.

• lancemuzlancemuz Member Posts: 30

Why not use the special order function and collect payment as a deposit? That's what we do and it works well. I don't think it's a good idea to consider a transaction as a sale until the customer picks up or is shipped the merchandise.