LS Retail w/Zebra ZD410's

gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 511 

Are there any other solutions for label printing other than this particular setup? We have several other applications that utilize other Zebra label printer models, yet none of them experience the flakiness and reliability issues of this setup.

Between the Zebra BrowserPrint client losing its preferences to the sporadic user approval prompts to losing connectivity for web client printing (while regular Windows printing to the unit works just fine)...it's frustrating. As someone who has occupied IT roles going back over 25 years now I know the basic troubleshooting required. So far the only fix for these issues involve 1) uninstalling Zebra BrowserPrint, 2) removing the Windows printer instance, 3) reinstalling the Windows printer instance, 4) reinstalling Zebra BrowserPrint, 5) reconfiguring Zebra BrowserPrint, 6) going through the web client approval prompts and acknowledgments.

If any web client can see a published list of local and network printers that exist, the need for the Zebra BrowserPrint middleware is maddening at best.

12 comments

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 511 
    edited August 25

Here below is an example. Zebra BrowserPrint fails to pass along the print job. But if I just pull the URL that the Print Label button is referencing in the web client I can clearly see the Zebra printer that's locally installed. And the print job succeeds. So it can't be a Chrome issue, since I can print directly in Chrome.

Uninstalling/reinstalling/reconfiguring/reacknowledging Zebra BrowserPrint seems to be the iron-clad fix. And yes, I'm using the Zebra BrowserPrint version that's downloadable from the LS Retail page prompt.

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 168 moderator

Hey @gregarican ,

If you're interested, we could always try to troubleshoot this directly with our support team if no other answers are located by other clients.

It does sound a little like the printer might be going to sleep? We'd need to run tests to determine if there's an easier solution.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

Thanks for the reply! I had the user do a support session or two, and it's just sporadic. The printer definitely isn't going to sleep, since the user can print a Windows test page to the Zebra, while the Zebra BrowserPrint is the fail point. Sometimes closing down the app, letting the LS Retail web client ask if the program needs to be installed, and firing up the app resolves the issue. Other times uninstalling and reinstalling fixes the issue.

The BrowserPrint is just another dependency and point of failure frankly. We have five other apps that print to other Zebra printers and none of them require this middleware. A web browser can print to local and mapped network printers without the middleware. 😔

edited August 28

I definitely noticed that there are some recurring things that have very specific tells and resolutions in my 2 years of troubleshooting, @gregarican .

I created a basic help article for customers to help them identify the exact trouble and their resolutions.

Often, people have some trouble with the unit when they attempt to print and it constantly asks them to re-download the application.(as mentioned above)

1) What browser are you using? It seems silly but, in case you normally print labels while using Firefox or Google Chrome, please make sure you're using that browser at the moment you attempt a print job. We also would like to point out that Safari or Internet Explorer are not considered supported browsers and you may need to switch to the above options mentioned for it to work proper)

2) Make sure the Browser Print App is enabled. If you're working on a Mac, on the top-right of your screen will be your app tray. If you see the zebra head at the top (which you don't in my case), make sure to launch the app. 

​ 

On Windows, because it is different, the app tray is at the bottom-right of your screen, often hidden by a little " ^ " icon. Click the icon and check if the browser print zebra head icon is present. (it is in my case) If not, please launch the app.

3) If after launching the app you still see the request to re-download the app, click the Check Again link in blue and click the Local host link. 

​ This will bring you to an "insecure" website. Please bypass this by clicking the ADVANCED button, then the Proceed to LocalHost link underlined at the bottom of the page. 

​ 

You may get asked for permissions, if so, please click the YES button on the boxes that pop up and try again! 

Another thing that can happen is when you're printing out labels, sometimes the Browser Print app will load up the entire queue and stop right at the end, appearing to having been completed, but not printing anything out.

Most of the time this means that the application might be troublesome and deleting/re-downloading the app is sometimes required.

Other times, the Print queue loads entirely, the Browser Print window closes but nothing prints. This is usually on the Printer side of things, rather than the app and powering down and back on your printer is ideal. Other times you might need to perform a factory reset on the printer to resolve this:

• Powered OFF the printer 
    • Held the PAUSE+FEED buttons
    • Powered ON the printer while holding the PAUSE+FEED buttons
    • Keep holding those until the light goes GREEN 
    • Run a test print

Another way to factory reset the printer is by flipping it on its head and inserting a paperclip into a little pinhole located next to an arrow going in a square formation and holding it until the printer starts making noise.

If the printer makes no noise after 10 solid seconds, try again. If this continuously fails, consider using the button reset above.

Hopefully all of these tidbits of knowledge will help you navigate things easier! We do understand that these are workarounds and our dev team is working on permanent solutions to this.

Thank you for your ongoing participation on our forum and enjoy your weekend!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I published something like this on our Intranet site for the operators to work through when they run into issues. In our case, it's 9 times out of 10 the one scenario you detailed.

"Another thing that can happen is when you're printing out labels, sometimes the Browser Print app will load up the entire queue and stop right at the end, appearing to having been completed, but not printing anything out.

Most of the time this means that the application might be troublesome and deleting/re-downloading the app is sometimes required."

Roughly twice a week we have to close out of the ZBP app, let our (Chrome) LS Retail web session prompt us to check ZBP, restart the ZBP app, and then things work. Or else worst case is we have to reinstall the ZBP app.

When this happens I can see the print queue is laden with the ZBP jobs that don't have the proper EOF sent or something, so they back up. And we can print okay in the same session with Chrome printing directly to the printer from a link to the label job (e.g. - https://us.merchantos.com/API/Account/{AccountId}/DisplayTemplate/ItemAsLabel/4034.html?template=ItemLabel&print=1&shopID=2&labelSize=2.20x.50). Putting the direct URL into the browser, letting the web browser send the job, and it works fine. It's just ZBP that's the issue.

Have a great weekend as well!

Thanks for the info!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

• VTSteveVTSteve Member Posts: 3

This is a consistent issue. Doesn't matter the browser or machine.

We have gone so far as to put the BrowserPrint-1.2.0.exe onto our taskbar as it is reinstalled almost every 2 days.

Please find an alternative!

@VTSteve thanks for the validation, since I assumed I wasn't the only client experiencing the issue. The whole concept behind the ZBP app being required escapes me. Any LS Retail web client (be it macOS, Windows, Linux, etc.) has a printer dialog box that pops up when they try to print a form. They can select the printer to print the web form to. Same with the Zebra labels. It boggles me when I see that work just fine, in the same client session where the ZBP app has sent multiple jobs with incomplete EOF commands that are clogging up the queue.

We have at least 3 other apps which print to various Zebra printers. None of them have this issue. Since none of them utilize this flaky ZBP middleware app.

Hey guys,

Your feedback is heard loud and clear, thank you for taking the time!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

• VintageWineGuyVintageWineGuy Member Posts: 101 ✭

Since it's a conversation, can we also have more modern versions of the Zebra printers on the supported list? Like the G-series? I know they work, but would be nice to have them on the support list. It is nice to be able to print 2x1 labels and 4x6 shipping labels on the same printer.

@VintageWineGuy good point. If a PC or Mac is printing labels then any mapped/connected printer should work. If only Lightspeed Retail just let the web browser handle the printing and ditch the ZBP middleware piece. All the user would need to worry about is the form size matching what the client session is sending to the label printer. This would open up a lot of options.

For example, we have large price changes affecting many hundreds of items. Using our other solution, we send the updated price tags as a batch to a large Zebra ZT-220 that holds a roll of like 1,500 labels.

Hey guys!

It's noted, thank you!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.