LightSpeed Payments - Refund Issue

outtaboundsouttabounds Member Posts: 2

We are looking to be able to refund invoices to a different card.

IE. Mom purchases a hoody for her son, son wants to return for a refund and he doesn't have her credit card, and wants it onto his debit card.

10 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 234 moderator

Hi @outtabounds ,

This will need to be done as a negative payment. To be sure that this is enabled in your store settings, please go to Settings - Payment Processing - Select the configure button in the Lightspeed Payments Banner - Make sure the Negative Payment switch is on.

After that's done, go to Sales - Refund

Add the item the customer is returning, then go to Payments and start the refund process via the card machine.

Hope this helps! For further information on this, you can call-in to our support team anytime!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• shoehnshoehn Member Posts: 22

@VanessaD I don’t seem to have the “Negative Payment Switch” in this location. Am I missing something?

Hi @shoehn ,

When you say a negative payment switch, can you elaborate what that looks like in the software?

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

@VanessaD that’s a great question. I’m looking for the “Negative Payment Switch” that you referenced above. If you could tell me, what it looks like, I could follow the instructions that you gave to @outtabounds earlier in this thread.

Hey @shoehn ,

Yep! It's definitely Monday. Sorry about that!

The switch in question is called the Allow Credits toggle. It can be accessed by going to Settings - Payment processing - configure button. Seen below under the Security Options.

This allows you to create refunds without the original reference number/receipt being present. (also known as Ad-hoc refunds)

Hope this helps!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

@VanessaD I don't seem to have that setting? Is this something that can get turned on for me?

Hey @shoehn ,

Currently, this option is only available for US Merchants since unreferenced refunds are disabled for Canadian merchants.

I'm guessing you're in Canada? If so, this function hasn't been abled yet, sorry about that!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

@VanessaD I am in Canada. Do you know if this is something that we will have access to in the near future? It is an issue that we run into a few times a week.

In our scenario we often have someone that purchases an item, let's say it's $100. They take it home, realize it wasn't what they were looking for, they then come back and exchange it for something at $80. We refund $20 onto their card for the difference between the two products. They take item two home, realize it isn't what they want either and come back to return it. This time, we owe them $80, but the system won't allow us to put it back on their card. The initial $20 return seems to "break the chain", so to speak, of the transaction and the only option is for us to give them a store credit or cash back.

This is a BIG problem. Most people do not want a credit on their account, they want their money back, and understandably so. This has resulted in us having to carry a significant cash float on hand, which is not ideal for many reasons, and we feel a bit sheepish having to explain that no, we really can't put the money back on their card even though we did exactly that for the $20 yesterday.

We've never had a processing system that will not allow us to return money to a customer in a scenario like this. It's enough of a pinch point that at our next renewal we will more than likely look for a different payment processing option if this can't be implemented here. I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that it's available in the US but not in Canada 🙁

Hey @shoehn ,

Thank you for explaining it like this. Yes, when you perform exchanges in the software and perform an additional exchange on top of it, the original reference number is no longer present since it was already used during that initial exchange, breaking the chain, as you so well explained it.

At this time unreferenced refunds are not supported by Stripe using the P400 for Card present transactions. Stripe does support unreferenced refunds using CNP (Retail manual entry), however whether development of this feature will move forward for Retail is TBD.

In order to facilitate tracking feature requests such as this please send me your Retail Account ID (you can send it as a private message if you prefer) with a contact email and name and I'll be able to open a ticket.

I'll then be able to tie this ticket to our ongoing investigation so we can keep tracking customers who want to add this feature.

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Thanks @VanessaD I've sent you the information in a DM.

You do say above "Stripe does support unreferenced refunds using CNP (Retail manual entry)". Is this something that we have access to right now as a work around?