Help Please.

TechTech Member Posts: 3
edited September 29 in Development

Can anyone share the process flow as it pertains to gift cards? I've been tasked with putting together a project plan as it pertains to LightSpeed and our hostt for gift card processing for a mutual client. I was told by LightSpeed, the Retail API is the way to go, but find very little gift card specific information. I assume, unless there is another interface specification that a gift card transactions could be sent up to our host, in the form of an activate, redeem, reverse, balance inquiry etc., that we in turn would interpret and respond back with a valid response in the correct format. So, I guess, is it even possible for LightSpeed too process a gift card against a third party host, provided the third party host responds with the expected response? The third part host would be hosting theft card balances, not LightSpeed. I was led to believe we could, but the Retail API is pretty devoid of any Gift Card specific traction types, at least that I am accustomed to seeing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by LucienVersendaal on

3 comments

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 406 moderator

Hi @Tech,

Thank you for contacting us.

When you want to make use of giftcards in Lightspeed Retail they need be registered in the system otherwise the giftcard will not recognized. On our Retail API documentation page we have a tutorial for how to create giftcard and how to use these in a sale. Also is mentioned how you can charge your giftcard. So please visit this link and share this with your developer https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/tutorials/gift-cards/

I hope this helps.

• TechTech Member Posts: 3

Thanks Lucien! To confirm, when using gift cards all gift cards need to be created in Lightspeed? Foreign gift cards, created outside of Lightspeed cannot be used? The big question I have, is Lightspeed is considered the host,, endpoint of all gift card transactions. Meaning can Lightspeed be used as the POS only, where the traction is initiated, sending all gift card request to another host which would be the case if a third party was involved. Does Lightspeed have to be the host, endpoint only? Thanks!

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 406 moderator

Hi @Tech,

To confirm, when using gift cards all gift cards need to be created in Lightspeed? Foreign gift cards, created outside of Lightspeed cannot be used? This is correct, the gift card need be registered in Lightspeed otherwise it will not be recognized by the system. These gift cards can after creating only be used in the POS.