Discounts - Custom Dollar Amount

TimJRTimJR Member Posts: 5

Good morning,

When I have a sale with multiple products, I want to apply a custom dollar discount to the total amount of the sale.

For example, I have a sale with 3 products, total price $18 and I want to apply a total $5.84 discount to the whole sale, and obtain a final price of $12.16.

Next sale, I have 5 products, total price 62$, and I want to apply a $13.67 discount, and obtain a final price of $48.33.

Next sale, I have 2 products, total price $26.50, and I want to apply a $10.23 discount, and obtain a final price of $16.27.

And so on and so forth.

Is it possible?

Tags:

6 comments

• TimJRTimJR Member Posts: 5

Could someone from support please look into this query?

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 643 moderator

Hey @TimJR, are you looking to build an app to accomplish this?

Adrian Samuel

Software Developer

Lightspeed HQ

Hi @Adrian Samuel

Thanks for your reply.

So it's not possible to apply a custom dollar amount discount to the sales total?

If it isn't, I'd like to build an app because I think it's a very useful feature to have, but I'm not a developer..

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 643 moderator

Hey @TimJR,

As per our documentation:

https://retail-support.lightspeedhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/228840687-Creating-discounts:

"You can create discounts that you can apply to sales and customers. A discount in Lightspeed Retail can have either a fixed dollar amount or be a percentage discount. You can apply fixed discounts to individual items, but not to an entire sale. You can apply percentage discounts to line items, sales and customers."

Hope this makes things clearer!

Building an app won't change this reality since this is a design decision

Adrian Samuel

Software Developer

Lightspeed HQ

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 522 

Although as a workaround I'd imagine that something could be possible. For example, divide the total discount by the number of line items and then apply that against each line item. For example, say you want to discount a two-item sale totalling $500 by $20. Just apply $10 against the first line item, and then $10 against the second. This would work, right?

@gregarican @Adrian Samuel

The reason why I'm asking for a custom dollar discount amount to a sales total is because we round our prices up or down to the nearest whole number.

If a sale total is $15.04 we will charge the customer $15; if a sale total is $99.95 we will charge the customer $100.

When I apply discounts using a % amount, the sales total comes out with cents after the decimal. If I charge the customer the rounded up version I will have a difference at the end of the day in the register because Lightspeed doesn't round numbers.

Thus, to avoid having cents after the decimal, the salespeople have to apply individual discounts to each item during a sale, which is very time consuming and stressful for them when there are lots of clients.

If they had the option of applying a customer dollar amount discount, they could simply apply the preset 20% discount then apply a custom dollar amount discount to bring the total to the nearest whole number.