How to apply payments to customer invoicse in Lightspeed retail

WsutherlandWsutherland Member Posts: 1

Good day,

I cannot figure out how to apply payments to individual invoices in Lightspeed retail. Its common for customers to pay for 6, 7 or maybe 100 individual invoices on account at one time. I can only seem to put a payment on account but not properly apply the payment to invoices, so they wont show up on the customers statement anymore.

Its making our customers lives miserable and in turn making our lives miserable. Customers are often shoving it back at us asking us to reconcile what they have and haven't paid for and the statements may be very large due to the nature of the business (hardware and lumber supply). Companies during construction season may have multiple crews all charging to the account resulting in 100s of charges. If you cant apply a payment to those individual charges it looks like a disaster on their account, 100s of invoices + unapplied payments.

I would assume I am missing something as this is a very basic function in even the bottom of the barrel POS and accounting systems. I cannot for the life of me figure it out however.

Thank you!

5 comments

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 683 

We found this to be a functional gap in the system...after we initially implemented following a brief trial period where not all gaps were discovered.

For us, we heavily rely on the Retail API. Pulling data on a daily basis, pushing it into a local SQL repository, and then we manage a lot of business utilizing the local repo.

For us the example similar to this would be a retail customer using an in-store credit account. Say they have purchased ten items spread across eight different sales transactions. They'd like to pay down the oldest sales transaction so that we can reconcile things before potentially charging interest and whatnot.

Not sure how doable this is out of the box. And we've been using Retail for 2+ years now...

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 582 moderator

Hey @Wsutherland ,

For the time being if invoices are left unpaid, they are currently pooled together in the customer's credit account and as they pay off the balance, it gets reduced in the software.

The best alternative for the time being is to go into the customer's credit account and locate the invoice itself, then view the amount to pay and advise the customer as such.

We understand it is a bit of extra work, but we'll note your enhancement request onto the request list! Thank you for your feedback and patience!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• ChrysalidChrysalid Member Posts: 5

Hello,

I'm new to Lightspeed and would like to add my comments - that the ability to apply customer payments to specific invoices is so important.

And the inability to do this is creating so much more work for me.

I have some customers that are businesses, which have multiple departments, with multiple people ordering from each. Not being able to show which specific invoices are outstanding isn't an option.

I seriously hope we see this addition to Lightspeed soon!

Amber

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 93 ✭

Why not put purchases for account customers to Special Orders, payments as deposits (Which puts money into the customers account) and then clear them individually?

Or am I looking at it wrong?

• BobbiBobbi Member Posts: 3

Please! Please! Please! Make this happen along with being able to e-mail statements.

Thaks!