Auto-add Related Products

We have mandatory environmental fees that need to be assigned to most of our products. It is an impossible task to ask sales staff to remember each of these fees for every product when completing a transaction. In OnSite we could add these fees as related products and set them to auto-add when a normal product was added to a transaction, easy and reliable for everyone. Is this not possible in Retail?

10 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 515 moderator

Hey @NilsSorensen ,

There are two major options when working with environmental /recycling fees in retail.

You can create assembly products in retail (so an item that includes both the product purchased + the environmental fee) so that each time you scan-in the item, the fee will be added as well.

This will make it so that your employees don't have to remember to scan-in the item and the fee every time, but requires you to build each assembly in retail and takes time to set up.

Once done, you'll be able to create the breakdown by linking the deposit/recycling fees in the Assembly tab of the item and setting how many of those get applied for adding the final product. Make sure that the assembly item is categorized as such. 

For more help on how to create assembly items, you can consult our Building and breaking apart assemblies article on the support page. 

Otherwise, you could shorten your personal workload by simply creating a button in your sales screen linked to the non-inventory environmental fee, but this leaves it up to your employees to add it to the sale manually.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• NilsSorensenNilsSorensen Member Posts: 8

Thanks for the info Vanessa. Is the more simple auto-add option in the pipeline for products? Would be much more intuitive than an assembly bundle.

Hey @NilsSorensen,

The roadmap isn't something that is officially shared even within the company due to testing and a lot of back and forths. Most times, if we're made aware of upcoming things, we're legally obligated to keep it under wraps until it becomes public.

To make sure it gets seen as an enhancement (if it wasn't already), I'll note it in our internal documentation used by the development team.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

• myleskmylesk Member Posts: 2

The assembly option simply won't cut it for our electronics business. Please let us know if related products is in the pipeline. It was part of Lightspeed OnSite. This is a really big deal for us.

Hey @mylesk ,

As mentioned, this isn't something that anyone outside of our development team will know or be made aware of until a week prior to the launch of the feature.

I will note your added feedback into the mix!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

• lev_cyclistlev_cyclist Member Posts: 8

Hi Vanessa,

I'd like to add my voice in requesting that feature be added to Retail. As someone who used OnSite for years that feature was used on many of our products, most of those products were also being invoiced dozens of times a day. This made that feature a great time saver.

The work-around with assembly doesn't offer the same flexibility either, requiring us to remove the assembly altogether if one of the two items gets removed between the Work Order estimate and Invoicing steps.

Hey @lev_cyclist

Consider it noted! Thank you for your feedback!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

• Tim_The_Grand_NagusTim_The_Grand_Nagus Member Posts: 8

This is also an issue that we are also struggling with. I was looking at using assemblies to try and do this, but the problem is that when I create an assembly it doesn't list all the items in the assembly just the master price for the assembly itself.

So for example if I want to sell a can of paint and add a $0.25 surcharge to an item that's $19.95, when I build the assembly and then enter it into the POS it makes me input a price manually as the assembly is set to $0.00 price even though the items that make up the assembly are priced at $19.95 and $0.25 respectively. I would assume that an assembly would take the prices of both items and add them together and list them on the receipt so that the customer gets a rundown that reads $19.95 + $0.25 recycling fee.

The other issue is that essentially each product needs to be made twice as we need the item that goes INTO the assembly as a separate item, which causes confusion and SKU bloat as every paint product would be in the system twice, once as an assembly and once as the item that gets assembled into the assembly.

Another level that compounds this problem is that in eCom, we aren't required to collect fees for orders outside of our province, and there doesn't seem to be a way to set up items to prevent that fee from applying to out of province orders.

Since products of different sizes have different deposits it is unpractical to have a hotkey system because it would require staff to manually enter a deposit for a dozen or more items potentially during a transaction at the till, so we would like to foolproof this as much as possible. Kind of seems like an oversight here, as fees and surcharges are a very common practice in retail.

Usually the clever folks at Lightspeed can give me some good workarounds, but there doesn't seem to be anything for this. Any tips or info you can provide would be helpful.

• RyanNeufeldRyanNeufeld Member Posts: 1

I also am very disappointed with the functionality of assembly items. I hate that creating bundles is not an option like QBO has which works great! I could almost make bundles work, but as Tim up above me mentioned it does not auto sum the prices of the two items making up the assembly and what is the worse thing for me is that their is no function to have the receipt show all the items making up the assembly. This needs to be fixed ASAP!!! QBO is outdoing you guys and I would hate to have to switch back to them. Attached is an image from QBO showing the simplicity of adding a bundle type!!!

Hey @RyanNeufeld & @Tim_The_Grand_Nagus ,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I've noted it as well!

———

Cheers!

Vanessa D.