Facebook iOS 14 changes and Conversions API

Dear fellows,

As you may know the upcoming iOS 14 changes will most probably affect the way statistics can be gathered by FB on ads we will run as a brand.

One part of the solution may be (unconfirmed, but very likely and actively recommended by FB lately) to implement the Facebook Conversions API.

This requires some intensive integration with the Lightspeed platform. To keep performance of our sites high I can imagine that some smart queuing needs to be done.

Does Lightspeed currently offer an integration like this with the Conversions API, and if not, is there an app that will do this for us?

Best,

Daniël

Tags:

13 comments

• basderuijterbasderuijter Member Posts: 3

Nothing on this?

Bas | Things I Like Things I Love

• wwdanielwwdaniel Member Posts: 14

Nope. We are in touch with FB and they have offered us support for developing a custom app on Lightspeed that will take care of this. I will keep this topic alive by updating it in ±2weeks on the progress we have made, and if there is the possibility for other merchants to make use of our solution as well.

Best,

Daniël

• BryanBryan Member Posts: 1
    edited March 4

Hi,

Is there more information about this issue?

Bryan

We have developed our in-house solution for this as LS will probably not fix this anytime soon. We haven't finished development yet but will update once we have.

• Michael OogjenMichael Oogjen Member Posts: 7

@wwdaniel has it already worked with the api conversion link if so how and who arranged this for you?

can this easily be put in another website if so please contact me?

We have developed a solution. Some key characteristics:

• Makes use of GTM-Server
    • GTM needs to have all Facebook parameters accessible in the DataLayer. Also a unique ID that will be used to deduplicate Pixel and conversion API events
    • Requires inclusion of script to website
    • Requires Google Cloud App Engines to run. Roughly $100 server costs / month

If someone is interested, please get in touch with me so further details can be discussed.

• JanneDeVosJanneDeVos Member Posts: 37

Hi @wwdaniel,

If I'm correct you are using the DataLayer the send parameters to a custom GTM script. The GTM script triggers some script on Google Cloud App Engine which posts to the Facebook API?

Hi @JanneDeVos ,

As I understand it, it works as follows:

• All required parameters for the FB Conversions API are loaded in the DataLayer
    • GTM (container that has 'Server' as type, not 'Web'. Hence, it runs not on the client side but on the server side) uses the data in the DataLayer to construct the payload to FB Conversions API and then sends the event to FB.
    • This GTM Server is hosted on Google Cloud App Engine, hence, you need to pay the server costs for hosting this

This method works independently of the shopper choosing to allow/block cookies and/or tracking. The DataLayer contents are constructed server-side (on Lightspeed) and the payload is send to FB Conversions API server side on App Engine.

Hi @wwdaniel,

I did some research about the Facebook API. I think I can be done much easier, but didn't build it myself yet. $100 / month is very expensive for just this feature unless your working at Zalando or something haha.

@JanneDeVos I can imagine this can be hosted far cheaper! We are looking for performance in this case, hence the steep price. Our site had millions of visitors last year, with a magnitude of that in events sent to FB. Hence, you can imagine the performance needed.

I did some research myself, which left me with some additional questions.

I think that the Facebook Conversions API is made for serverside integration. Serverside integration isn't possible in Lightspeed, not even with a Lightspeed App.

Custom implementations and Apps inside Lightspeed has to rely on javascript. A browsers can easy detect and block javascript trackers, but can't detect serverside integrations.

So I'm wondering if it's worth it to invest in a custom implementation?

Yes this runs server side. Indeed, you cannot host anything on the Lightspeed platform itself. You will have to create an app yourself (and host it yourself). We have it done through GTM Server - which is a server-side solution.

So if done correctly, you will have an implementation that will work regardless of the shopper having disabled javascript or not.

Best,

Daniel

So you are trying to tell me your Google Tag Manager isn't loaded with Javascript?