Automatically add a non-taxable product or charge to item sold

LaBuvetteLaBuvette Member Posts: 4

Hi,

I wanted to know if it's possible to automatically add a non-taxable charge or product when we sell some products. I found the way to add a non-taxable product but I can't find how to do it automatically. I explain, we are mandated by law to add a 0,20$ non-taxable deposit to every bottle and can sold.

Thank you,

Charles

4 comments

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

Hey @LaBuvette ,

To do this, you could create an assembly item that includes both the deposit and the product that your customer is purchasing. This would be the only way to automatically add both items together at once.

To create an assembly item, you can consult the Building and Breaking Apart Assemblies Help Center article.

Otherwise, you could create a button on your sales screen called Deposit and link it to a Non-inventory non-taxable item so that when you click it, it gets added to the sale as a line item.

To do this, there is a 2 step process: 

1) Create a non-inventory item with the value

- Go to Inventory > New Item

- Change Single to Non-Inventory and uncheck the Taxable option

- Add a name and value associated with the offer

- Save Changes 

2) Create a Button in your Sales Tab 

- Go to Settings > Custom Menus > Sales Tab

- Add a title 

- Change the type to Add Item(s) 

- Choose the colour of your choice

- Click Save Changes

- Scroll down on the same page and find the button

- Click the pen

- Link the non-inventory Item you just created

And voila! You now have a fully functional button that can be applied to the sales of your choice. 

For more information on Custom Menus, you can always consult our A Detailed Overview of Custom Menus or our Creating Custom Menus page on our Support Website! 

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• cheerscheers Member Posts: 1

I have been waiting for this feature to be added, please please please. We pass through about 50k in bottle deposits and adding it manually is prone to human error which would equal lost revenue. California, New York are our two largest states with bottle deposit laws. It's not that specialized of a request. You might even call it a fixed tax field (which it is). Please? I like so much about LS.

I looked at the workaround concept of "assemblies" but if I understand it correctly setting up a new say wine sku by entering with its barcode would enter it as an inventory item, but then, you have to then create a second thing, the "assembly item", for every sku? I have about 10k skus!

Thanks for helping me understand.

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

Hey @cheers

I've noted your feedback into our internally requested list of enhancements submitted by customers!

But yes, the current alternative is either to apply the item on every sale using a custom menu button or create individual sku's for all of your products. Of course, it demands a lot of setup but would help automate this quite a lot moving forward.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• cowsinccowsinc Member Posts: 3

I agree with the above comments that this should be an added feature. A non-inventoried, non-taxable fee should be able to be linked to an inventoried, taxable item. The two work arounds are not ideal for our set up, and like the others said, the manual button is prone to human error.