Custom payment type like Onsite.

amatthamatth Member Posts: 11

Hello, I would like to know how to implement a custom payment type in retail. If Retail does not have this feature, I would like to know where on the roadmap is this feature. I've been tasked with the implementation of this POS and as far as I can tell this feature does not exist.

I'm shocked that this product was sold to the organization under the premise that Retail is a replacement for Onsite. This is far from the truth. This is a crucial feature that is missing. So crucial that it is show stopping for the organization if this product were to go live in it's current form.

So please tell me, where on the product roadmap is this feature? When can retail customers reasonable expect to be able to enter a custom payment type such as departmental budget number or reference number as a payment type?

3 comments

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

Hey @amatth ,

You can open the Settings - Payment Types and create any number of customized payment types!

Click the +New Payment Type button to get started.

Assign a name and specifics on the preferred refund method and customer requirements.

And that's it!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• amatthamatth Member Posts: 11

Thank you for that. I see that feature but it doesn't seem to let you give any input except for a cost.

I was looking for the feature that lets you leave a string for a custom payment type. Such as a string of text up to 256 characters long. ( for payments split between more than one budget)

If I create a new custom payment such as "Budget" there is no input field for text to be entered into.

My request is that custom payment types have an attribute "Text Input" so that if the custom payment type is "budget" that you can input a text string.

It would be nice to find out if this is planned and if so when we could reasonably expect to have this feature available.

I saw your workaround in the other thread to create a product type with a cost of 0$ and change the editable description to match the reference number. Sometimes payments are split between several budget numbers how would that be handled?

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

Hey @amatth

Thanks for the feedback! It does make things easier to understand, I'll note this enhancement request with our list of customer-requested updates!

Based on what you've explained above, it seems to be that you're attempting to use 2 or more payment types, which also have an alphanumerical identifier to be able to pay for certain products in Retail.

Yes, the item is one option for the workaround, however it does add a line item to your sale, which some merchants prefer to avoid, plus Lightspeed will add only 1 line for every instance of the item added, which can be frustrating.

Now that I have a bit of background on what you wanted to do, here's what I would suggest as a workaround.

To start, you could create multiple customized payment types called Budget 1, budget 2, etc, depending on how many budgets your transactions usually get split across.

From there, you could assign, example Budget 1 to the code (ex:12GSWQ245 ) and Budget 2 to the code (ex: 08BKJQ97).

While in the sale, you could click on the Show Notes button, which will give you options for Receipt Notes and Internal Notes. Receipt notes appear on the receipt whereas Internal notes are only accessible via the sale card once the sale is completed.

Ex: Once you click the Show Notes button, I chose to add it to the receipt so I inputted which Budget code will be associated to which Budget Payment type you created.

From there, you'd then use the Budget payment type that corresponds with which budget paid for which portion of the sale.

If the Receipt note is what was used, this is where it will appear on the receipt, should you want it to.

Otherwise, you can view the Internal Note by opening the Transaction number on the bottom-right.

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)