Lock a PC to a register/store

BenVBenV Member Posts: 55 ✭

There needs to be a way to lock a PC to a particular register and store and it should be possible to restrict who can change that temporarily. Could settings be added to Hub to specify the register and store?

21 comments

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 796 moderator

Hey @BenV ,

Currently, this is only available if you use an iPad setup by selecting the register your iPad is on. By doing so, you'd make it so another iPad could no longer select the register in question if they try to log in elsewhere.

When you're on a PC/Mac setup, since you're accessing Lightspeed through a web browser, it's important to know that if you are to log in using the same ID/password for each register/computer in store, this could cause the register to switch about since it follows your login credential from register to register.

We'll absolutely take your feedback regarding being able to restrict who can make modifications to this via the employee roles! Thank you for taking the time!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 55 ✭

We do use a different login for each register but we still have problems with employees accidentally selecting the wrong register. Why is this ability available for iPads but not PCs? It seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to add to Hub.

Hey @BenV ,

There was a functionality that exists and still appears today (in case you see the Lock this device to Register checkbox) but we later found out it was the cause of some bugs so we no longer suggest using it. We are constantly working on things like those to either fix or make better.

Also part of why I took your feedback! Just in case!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

• HamptonHampton Member Posts: 63 ✭

Any update on a fix?

• AzTAzT Member Posts: 74 ✭

I've found that one of the most common reasons for a drawer switch (other than employee error switching the drawer themself) is when someone tries to see the total of that drawer from a different device.

Example:

-Location 1 has 1 register (we'll call it L1R1)

-Location 2 has 1 register (L2R1)

The store owner has a computer at home and wants to check the shift total for Location 1. Store owner selects L1R1, proceeds to sales and clicks close drawer. Meanwhile, and employee is processing a transaction on L1R1. This seems to cause Lightspeed to think there is an error, L1R1 is in the process of being closed but L2R1 is open so the employee must be wanting to complete the transaction on L2R1 instead. The drawer then switches to L2R1. I have been able to replicate this flow several times with 100% of attempts causing a drawer switch.

THE WORKAROUND:

If this is potentially what is causing the problems for your store we implemented a simple rule at mine that has successfully prevented drawer switches ever since: IF YOU ARE NOT USING THE DEVICE PHYSICALLY ATTACHED TO THE DRAWER, NEVER CLICK ANYTHING IN THE SALES TAB OF LIGHTSPEED. Again, since implementing this rule we have not experienced a single switch, this includes me opening two drawers with my login, opening a sale on both drawers with my pin, and finally using another employee to attempt to complete sales on both at the exact same time (obviously not humanely possible, but we got it within a second), and the drawers did not switch after several attempts to force them to in this way.

Hope this helps! If it does, please make to reply to this with that info and tag one of the mods so it can be passed along to the dev team.

Hey @AzT

Thanks for taking the time to test this out. I'm curious to know if you ran these tests in your live retail account or a demo account since I see you are using 1 location with 2 separate registers rather than 2 locations with 1 register each. Are you by chance using 1 register in each location?

We do want to point out that if you have more than 1 location, the login ID and password needs to be different from one location to the other to prevent register switching.

Lightspeed will assign the ID/password to the the location and register selected once you've logged in, which should help reduce your issues.

If you're using 2 registers and 1 location, we also recommend using different ID's and Passwords for each register to prevent switching.

Let me know if you have questions!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• AzTAzT Member Posts: 74 ✭

@VanessaD this was with a live account.

• DavenportusmcDavenportusmc Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2021

Is this going to be resolved soon? This bug was reported back in Feb, seems like we should be sneaking up on a solution..

Its causing a lot of issues for us - to include sales being made on the wrong device, so our closing counts of cash are wrong at the end of the day :(

@Davenportusmc I doubt Lightspeed considers it to be a bug. Personally I consider it to be an idiotic design. Sadly it seems like many functions in LSR (formerly MerchantOS) were designed by people who have zero experience working in retail.

• ckinmanckinman Partner Posts: 5 partner

A comment like blasting people as idiots is really not helpful.

You might be right. It helped me to vent some frustration though.

• Jude24Jude24 Member Posts: 5

I agree that this is an issue that should be fixed. We have 2 registers. The issue of them switching has recently become very frequent, but I just now saw the post here in Community that a remote login will cause this to happen. I log in remotely a lot. I am going to try to avoid hitting the sales tab while logged in to see if that indeed is what causes it. I considered purchasing a 3rd "register" just to allow me to get in without disrupting, but I don't think I should have to do that.

• CVLSCVLS Member Posts: 18

I too have noticed that even with different logins and passwords, even with different pins, we STILL would have register switches. I've probably spent 12 hours of my life trying to figure out/resolve this madness....

So I've found that even WITH the "lock" feature, I've found that if you DO log in remotely, you are ok if you click on a particular store/location, but don't EVER click on an actual register or else you are inviting the system to get confused and it will likely switch your other PC's with different registers. And this ends up screwing up OTHER employees running transactions no matter who's PIN is used! (Crazy, I know...)

If you find that you are remote and you're already assigned a register, simply click on a different location and when it now asks which register you would like, simply DON'T select one and go about your business without making that selection. (and don't ever select a register from that point forward!)

• alanlloydalanlloyd Member Posts: 46 ✭
    edited March 29

Instead of all the workarounds, etc. why doesn't Lightspeed simply provide for a NON-REGISTER option when you first log-in? After all, why do I have to be "on" a register when I am sitting in my home office . . . .or three-thousand miles from my store? Why does an employee in my warehouse have to "on" a register? It's counter-intuitive and evidently causes problems. Why does this follow login IDs? It seems like it'd be a pretty easy fix to put a cookie in the browser (sorry if this is the wrong terminology) that would essentially make the browser ALWAYS be on register X when it was started. Same story with the credit card terminals. In what scenario does it make sense for the register number to follow log-in IDs -- especially if the cashiers are jumping between registers all day. I'll say it in advance . . . spare me the lecture about tying cashiers to single registers all day. The inability for cashiers to move about freely on my three registers would make our customer service level plunge. I'm not doing that.

• AlanDAlanD Member Posts: 5

I avoid going into "Sales" when logged in remotely, and that seems to have stopped the registers from switching. One problem with this: when I log in remotely, it always defaults to the Sales screen, and I have to immediately click out of it. Is there a way to let me log in, but not into Sales?

• sfarrellsfarrell Member Posts: 1

This is a constant problem in our shop as well. Either being in the wrong store OR in the wrong register. I have tried limitin store access at least to you can only ring in your own shop BUT then you cant look up a customer history if they bought something in the other shop. It really hinders our customer service.

• GroundZeroHobbiesGroundZeroHobbies Member Posts: 3

I just opened my store a few days ago, and having 25+ years of retail management experience, including big box retailers, the inability to keep each register accountable for its own transactions without one register randomly switching to another register is demonstrative of a lack of understanding retail operations.

I am paying extra money (to Lightspeed) to have independent registers, and to ultimately find out at the end of the night all my transactions end up on one register anyhow, I am not sure what I am paying extra for.

This issue also extends to the credit card terminals, where one can send a transaction to another register's terminal if the cashier is not paying attention. I should not have to go into extra training for cashiers on how to watch for wandering registers, because when it gets busy, these types of checks will often be skipped and mess up each register's totals in the end.

And the workarounds do not work for me, as being a new store there are some inventory issues I need to fix on the fly, so when I log into either of my cash-drawer registers (the one not being used) doing so messes up the register assignments.

It is a nuisance problem that should not exist in the first place.

• joefergusonjoeferguson Member Posts: 1

This is yet another confusing and error causing issues with Lightspeed Retail. There has to be a simple way to lock a computer/register to open at its location no matter who logs in. It used to work much better than it does now.

The result is that employees walk to another department and log in to make a sale, and it makes the sale on another register in another department. Now the drawer count is off and the credit card batch settlement will also be off. Makes triple work for the manager to keep everything straight between registers.

My Team Viewer knows which computer I'm on when I log in from other computers.

I agree with GroundZero...It is a nuisance problem that should not exist in the first place.

Someone fix this please!

• alanlloydalanlloyd Member Posts: 46 ✭

I'm pretty sure no one at Lightspeed reads this community board anymore. There used to be someone named Vanessa Delorme, but Linkedin says she moved-on from Lightspeed last month. Since then, I've seen no responses from anyone at Lightspeed to anything posted here.

I'm pretty sure that typing anything here is a waste of calories at this point.

Happy Wednesday!

• AlanDAlanD Member Posts: 5

This remains an issue, but after dealing with it a long time here are some hints we have learned. We have 2 PC based registers, each with a credit card terminal.

First, if you log in remotely and do anything under the sales tab, you will cause problems with registers. You cannot work under sales remotely while the registers are being used.

Secondly, and this is a key issue: If you have been logged in and working on a register, and then you log into the other register, it will likely identify you as the register you were working on first. Example: you complete a sale on register 1 then later log on to register 2, it will show you as still on register 1. You can enter a sale, but the credit card terminal will not work. you just get the "loading icon", "spinning circle", "throbber" or whatever you call it. When you log on, if it shows you on the other register, click in that register box and choose the other register BEFORE YOU ENTER A TRANSACTION.

This is a hassle, and annoying, but if you get everyone to always check what register it says they are working on, you will save a lot of headaches.

I hope this helps.

• GroundZeroHobbiesGroundZeroHobbies Member Posts: 3

I ended up speaking with my sales rep and it turns out there is a module that the devs made that can patch this issue. They applied it to my system and so far the registers no longer wander and remain locked to the PC they are assigned to.

We still use two different logins for each register, which was recommended for the module to work correctly.

Issue is solved, but you need to call and ask for your system to be patched with the module on the backend.