Lock a PC to a register/store

BenVBenV Member Posts: 45

There needs to be a way to lock a PC to a particular register and store and it should be possible to restrict who can change that temporarily. Could settings be added to Hub to specify the register and store?

9 comments

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

Hey @BenV ,

Currently, this is only available if you use an iPad setup by selecting the register your iPad is on. By doing so, you'd make it so another iPad could no longer select the register in question if they try to log in elsewhere.

When you're on a PC/Mac setup, since you're accessing Lightspeed through a web browser, it's important to know that if you are to log in using the same ID/password for each register/computer in store, this could cause the register to switch about since it follows your login credential from register to register.

We'll absolutely take your feedback regarding being able to restrict who can make modifications to this via the employee roles! Thank you for taking the time!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 45

We do use a different login for each register but we still have problems with employees accidentally selecting the wrong register. Why is this ability available for iPads but not PCs? It seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to add to Hub.

Hey @BenV ,

There was a functionality that exists and still appears today (in case you see the Lock this device to Register checkbox) but we later found out it was the cause of some bugs so we no longer suggest using it. We are constantly working on things like those to either fix or make better.

Also part of why I took your feedback! Just in case!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

• HamptonHampton Member Posts: 63 ✭

Any update on a fix?

• AzTAzT Member Posts: 66 ✭

I've found that one of the most common reasons for a drawer switch (other than employee error switching the drawer themself) is when someone tries to see the total of that drawer from a different device.

Example:

-Location 1 has 1 register (we'll call it L1R1)

-Location 2 has 1 register (L2R1)

The store owner has a computer at home and wants to check the shift total for Location 1. Store owner selects L1R1, proceeds to sales and clicks close drawer. Meanwhile, and employee is processing a transaction on L1R1. This seems to cause Lightspeed to think there is an error, L1R1 is in the process of being closed but L2R1 is open so the employee must be wanting to complete the transaction on L2R1 instead. The drawer then switches to L2R1. I have been able to replicate this flow several times with 100% of attempts causing a drawer switch.

THE WORKAROUND:

If this is potentially what is causing the problems for your store we implemented a simple rule at mine that has successfully prevented drawer switches ever since: IF YOU ARE NOT USING THE DEVICE PHYSICALLY ATTACHED TO THE DRAWER, NEVER CLICK ANYTHING IN THE SALES TAB OF LIGHTSPEED. Again, since implementing this rule we have not experienced a single switch, this includes me opening two drawers with my login, opening a sale on both drawers with my pin, and finally using another employee to attempt to complete sales on both at the exact same time (obviously not humanely possible, but we got it within a second), and the drawers did not switch after several attempts to force them to in this way.

Hope this helps! If it does, please make to reply to this with that info and tag one of the mods so it can be passed along to the dev team.

Hey @AzT

Thanks for taking the time to test this out. I'm curious to know if you ran these tests in your live retail account or a demo account since I see you are using 1 location with 2 separate registers rather than 2 locations with 1 register each. Are you by chance using 1 register in each location?

We do want to point out that if you have more than 1 location, the login ID and password needs to be different from one location to the other to prevent register switching.

Lightspeed will assign the ID/password to the the location and register selected once you've logged in, which should help reduce your issues.

If you're using 2 registers and 1 location, we also recommend using different ID's and Passwords for each register to prevent switching.

Let me know if you have questions!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• AzTAzT Member Posts: 66 ✭

@VanessaD this was with a live account.

• DavenportusmcDavenportusmc Member Posts: 2
    edited October 26

Is this going to be resolved soon? This bug was reported back in Feb, seems like we should be sneaking up on a solution..

Its causing a lot of issues for us - to include sales being made on the wrong device, so our closing counts of cash are wrong at the end of the day :(

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 45

@Davenportusmc I doubt Lightspeed considers it to be a bug. Personally I consider it to be an idiotic design. Sadly it seems like many functions in LSR (formerly MerchantOS) were designed by people who have zero experience working in retail.