Creating a wine list

DArterDArter Member Posts: 2

Good day,

I am interested to know what you think is the best way to create a wine list. We have the usual suspects, white, rose, red, champagne and sparkling wine, some sold by the glass and all sold by the bottle.

Do you create products "White", "Rose" "Red" etc and use a modifier to select which one or "by the glass", "by the bottle"

Am I able to use Choices in this instance?

Advanced for you input.

D Arter

3 comments

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 77 moderator

Hello D Arter,

That is a very good question. There are a number of ays this could be done, but I would not use Choices. Those are primarily for use with Combos, ie: Choice of Appetizer, Choice of Main and Choice of Dessert in a 3 course meal combo.

Modifiers are a good way of doing this. If you've got White, Red and Rosé of a given name, you could have one modifier to select whether you want white, red or rosé and another to select whether you want a glass or a bottle.

If you have a lot of wines with different price points, that would lead to a lot of modifiers, so it might be best to have separate categories for glasses and bottles. You could still use the white, red, rosé modifier for this.

The rule of thumb is to use the least complex way possible given the quantities and variations you have.

Hope this helps,

Lightspeed Restaurant tech support

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

Toll-free: 866-932-1801 | Montréal 514-907-1801

Australia: +61-2-8488-3146 | United Kingdom +44-20-3695-9599

• DArterDArter Member Posts: 2

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I used By the Glass and By the Bottle as the products, listed the different wines as modifiers in the same order as they appear on the wine list. I will give it a try and switch to "by glass" and "by bottle" categories if it is too cumbersome.

• Katherine_WelfordKatherine_Welford Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 77 moderator

Glad to hear it DArter!

As you will find, there are many ways to skin a cat with this product, it's really a question of which way works best for you. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Best regards,

Lightspeed Restaurant tech support

Lightspeed HQ

Visit our Help Center

Toll-free: 866-932-1801 | Montréal 514-907-1801

Australia: +61-2-8488-3146 | United Kingdom +44-20-3695-9599