Staff logging in for sale - scan or tap rather than pin number?

ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 120 

Is there any way we can scan a barcode or tap an RFID to log in staff?

It's crazy that a staff member has to log in with a pin number repeatedly for a series of sales.

Can we just print an id to stick to the back of a neck hanger that gives the log in?

I can create a normal barcode that will read the 4 digit pin in Excel, but that seems dumb considering it should be a feature.

11 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 714 moderator

Hey @Shootersshed ,

Your Pin number can be any set of numbers, I've seen customers use letters as well, so if your rep would rather input a word or something more simple, they could! There's also no minimum requirement on how many characters to use.

I've dug into the possibility of building an API or external application, but currently, the Pin number is not exposed via the API, meaning that we cannot work through this portal.

There is a bit of a workaround you can implement, however it's not particularly efficient:

• Block Login Except the Admin Login by disabling external login on the associate employee role.
    • The Admin then can Log in at the start of the day
    • Create or find a browser Extension installed on your browser to block access to Retail when it's not the admin
    • Use has to use RFID pin thingy to access the Lightspeed Retail GUI on the browser

This would takes a lot of technical implementation though and it means the admin or whoever the authorized user has to be there. This means if they're sick or cannot come in for whatever reason, then people can't access the system.

So, as mentioned, it's not ideal, but the only flow that would currently works since the pins etc are not exposed via the API and thus are not something you can actually work with.

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 120 

None of your answer makes sense.

I want to identify who makes a sale, thats the point of the software.

In the end I used Google to make a 4 digit bar code and printed everyones pin out and stuck it to the monitor.

Now when it asks for the pin, each person just scans their name and it auto logs them in.

I am not really sure if your developers have used and spent an entire day with this software in a real retail environment, have they.

Hey Jason,

Based on the question you provided, which was wanting to work with an RFID scanner, even if you were to build a website extension to add on to Chrome or Firefox, which is what I was referring to above, the only way to implement it is with the instruction and help of a developer.

That being said, if you want to use options that are native to the Retail environment, you can go to Settings - General Options and enable the option to Require PIN before each sale.

This will help you identify which rep has processed the sale with the use of their PIN, which, as I had mentioned prior, can be any number of letters or numbers, so you could realistcally keep it quite simple, should you want to.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Thats exactly what I said in the second line of my comment, I thought it was clear......

"It's crazy that a staff member has to log in with a pin number repeatedly for a series of sales."

If two staff are using the register and one handles ten transactions in a row, that person needs to type their pin in ten times.... So dumb.

We are paying a premium so we can have a working register system. Iinstead we get a half assed frame work that we can pay someone else to fix just to make it work like On-site already did.

edited February 25

Hey @Shootersshed ,

If we were to use existing features to make things as quick and dirty as possible, especially if you're using a scanner that reads the Lightspeed Labels, here's an alternative I think you may like:

1) Create a non-inventory item with the employee name as the description.

2) Print out the label with the system ID barcode

3) Open the Settings - Employee setup - Click on the employee name you wish to modify - click into the Sign in tab - Click into the Set new PIN box and scan-in the label you've just created, finally save the changes.

(This will essentially assign the label barcode as the employee PIN)

If you do this for each employee, when they start a sale, they could scan-in their respective PIN by using the barcode and hitting Enter, which is much faster than manually inserting their PIN.

I've still inputted your initial request of either opening the API or making an RFID scan-able option added to the PIN feature within retail into our feature enhancement list.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

I swear you aren't reading what I type before you answer......

I've already said twice that I have just printed the 4 digit barcode from googling a free barcode printing webpage and we use that and it works fine. But it's a half assed setup.

BTW, using your method then means the person can't log in anywhere else (iphone, ipad, laptop, back office) as they would not be able to remember the huge system id code that your "user item" would print out.

Any jobs going at Lightspeed R&D?

Hey @Shootersshed ,

I respond to comments using methods that are supported by Lightspeed and available internally in the software, as I am specialized in supported retail products.

As per my last message, I've already taken your feedback and added it to the customer requested enhancement list.

Should any others have any alternative solutions to provide, they are free to do so!

Enjoy your weekend!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• SamASamA Member Posts: 16

I'm confused as to why typing a 4 digit PIN is such an impediment to @Shootersshed sales process. Do you have keyboards at the point of sale? Is everybody using touchscreens exclusively? Using PINs to log in doesn't really present any issues in my business. In fact, if employees had to keep track of an RFID fob or scan a barcode to log in, it would be much slower for us. Employees can't misplace their PIN, and they're unlikely to enter another person's by mistake.

@SamA, if I am processing customer after customer, its a massive pain to constantly enter the pin.

We fixed it by having a sticker with printed barcodes at the register that just gets scanned by the barcode scanner already in hand. :)

• RevcycleRevcycle Member Posts: 22

Sounds like a security flaw to have everyone's login details available.. I'll scan someone else's login and do a payout, or return products and pocket the money under someone else's login.

We process many transactions a day and use pins, it's really not that big of a step and this way I know whoever was the cashier was the actaul cashier.

• parkerbasssolutionsparkerbasssolutions Member Posts: 2

Couldn't you just change your settings to not require a PIN for each sale?