Are tags / custom fields shared between eCom and PoS?

rgismergisme Member Posts: 17

As the questions suggests - I'd like to know if tags and/or custom fields are pushed/pulled between the eCom and PoS systems.

If not, what options do we have to pass 'custom' information between system for development/logic concerns?

11 comments

• GeannyGeanny Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 113 moderator

Hi @rgisme ,

Tags and Custom fields are not shared between Retail and eCom.

Retail tags: Tags help you manage your inventory and customers by applying keywords and search terms to them.

eCom tags: Tags are keywords that describe product features and are used by search engines like Google Search.

If you need to use an identifier, you could use the Custom SKU on Retail which is the same as the Article Code on eCom. I recommend you to read the following article:

Geanny

• rgismergisme Member Posts: 17

IMO, that is completely bonkers. Maybe, maybe I can understand the rationale for tags, if they have such specific uses - and really only on the Google Search side of things...

So the only way to pass logical information from Retail to eCom is to depend on parsing string data entered into a single text field intended for SKU values?

• JoeyJoey Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 277 moderator

The tags functionality in both platform are completely different. In Retail they are mostly used for reporting purposes and other internal usage.

Within eCom tags are used to group specific products that make it easy for customers to shop these group of products.

What kind of information are you wanting to send from eCom to Retail and what are you trying to achieve? As Geanny mentioned there are the unique identifier fields (SKU,EAN,Man. SKU) and besides that specific variant information (color,size,style,width,height,etc.) comes from the (up to three) Matrix attributes.

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ

I realize tags are handled differently between both platforms - that's the problem. Or, if not tags, at least allow for sharing of custom fields between the systems...

Here's my problem:

Lightspeed enforces that inventory is managed by Retail. Sure, you can sell items in eCom and the counts are updated, but there is absolutely no way to communicate information from Retail to eCommerce (an online store front) to flag items for any given number of reasons.

Let's say I'm using the 'featured products' functionality, as I'm sure that's what would be suggested. What if I want to 'headline' a single item that has been entered into the PoS? Nope. I have to log into eCom after plugging in my inventory, find the specific item that I already added to my store and updated it there.

Or what if I get a shipment of product in that needs additional information that I want to make very clear to the user on my eCommerce? Ideally I would add a tag or a custom field that would denote it as important. Adding some simple css or javascript would see the tag and flag it for styling or DOM injection.

Or how about if I want certain items to show as Out Of Stock but others to show as Coming Soon? Can I tag the item in the PoS when I set it up? Nope. Now I have to log into eCom, find the items and tag them independently.

No matter how you look at it Lightspeed is forcing redundant work to be done by myself or multiple employees instead of allowing a single point of entry.

Even if I were to use the Custom SKU field, I would now depend on the right information being added, build additional parsing logic, and train anyone touching the system to make sure they are using some bizarre in-house coding system to denote special case scenarios instead of just flagging an item with a custom field or a tag.

It is beyond unfortunate that there is no level of custom information being passed to eCom from PoS at an item level when inventories are updated in order to be able to implement advanced logic on the web site store.

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 115 

So all of the tags I put into retail don't get sent as my tage on the e-commerce side??

Isn't that the point of putting tags in??

Thats crazy.

It is crazy. There is absolutely no way to assign values to inventory items with the intention of creating logical flows in the eCommerce side for the website. It fundamentally cripples the ability to dynamically enhance a site with updates from the Retail inventory.

If anyone has some suggestion on how this might be feasible - outside of some mental gymnastics around the Custom SKU field - I'm all ears!

edited March 3

We use Custom SKU for the product code from Lightspeed Onsite vs Retail. Thats what Lightspeed had us do.

Fine for a single piece of data. Not really much good for anything more than that. That's what I mean by mental gymnastics with the Custom SKU field.

For example - a piece of inventory as a 'headline feature item' that needs to be highlighted as 'Coming Soon' in order to override the 'Out-Of-Stock' default messaging, that also needs to be related to another item as 'Recommended' which is different than the default 'Suggested' grouping.

If you can figure out a way to do any number of those things with a single Custom SKU field at the time of inventory loading, be able to enter it in an easily remembered format, parse the coding, and have the logic handle that on the eCommerce side - all so one doesn't have to manage a single inventory in two separate systems when LS forces users to only enter inventory in the Retail side - then you've solved my problem!

• gareth_egareth_e Member Posts: 30

@rgisme I agree! It's crazy the lack of omnichannelness in what's sold to us as an omnichannel solution that's going to enlighten our businesses with never-seen-before efficiency... The disjointed separation of Retail, eCom, Loyalty and Analytics jumping between tabs and windows to do tasks twice, three, four times is frustrating.

Not to mention that every time you want to put something on sale you have to jump between Retail and eCom to enter the original price into the "old price" field in order for a sale banner to show up...

We've used importing and exporting spreadsheets between the two platforms as a bandaid solution to the lack of integration, but that's almost just as time consuming and requires a greater understanding of the fields etc.

Even more so frustrating is that you can't even use the APIs from the two platforms to automate the syncing of information with tools like Zapier, Parabola, Integromat, etc as there isn't a unique identifier that's common between eCom and Retail, and the eCom API to my knowledge won't let you modify data using the Article Code as the identifying field.

Help!

When I was sold the Retail product, I was told that "It's basically a tick the box solution" to get products into the E-commerce side of things.

• vividprintvividprint Member Posts: 25 ✭

That’s what we miss about OnSite: being able to have the single point to add descriptions, shipping dimensions etc. It’s created a bunch of extra work for us. I must say, though, that the spreadsheet inventory update system is way more flexible than the old OnSite way of doing things; it’d just be nice to only have to do it in one place. I suspect it’s this way partially because ecom can exist as a standalone product, but the option of entering that date in retail should exist for omni channel applications.