Physical inventory locations

danmccloskey1danmccloskey1 Member Posts: 9

Why does Lightspeed not have a field to give an item a physical location within my store? Doing inventory is so much quicker and easier when I can send my counters to a certain location to count all the items located there.

Or am I missing something, and cant find this feature?

I have added a custom field but you cannot search by, or sort by that field so it has no relevance in this situation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

13 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 643 moderator

Hey @danmccloskey1 ,

In retail, since the items exist in all shop locations at once, whatever location you're in determins where the item is physically located.

You can determine this on the top-left of the utility bar (seen below)

You can also use the Automatic Re-Ordering section (bottom right, above) to determine which store you're in by seeing what store name is in bold.

During an inventory count, the location is under the Details section, so all items that are associated with this count will be attributed or should belong to that one shop.

If you mean something else, feel free to clarify and I can better help! Otherwise, you can always contact us in Support! We're open 24/7.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• danmccloskey1danmccloskey1 Member Posts: 9

Vanessa,

Thank you. I may not have posed the question correctly.

We have one store. Within that store we have upwards of 10,000 SKU's. Each SKU has a physical location within the store, for example Widget A is located on Shelf A Bin1. In Lightspeed I do not see a place to put a location for each item. Each item having a location makes doing a physical inventory much easier when you can give your counters a sheet and say count everything in this location. As it stands now they will have a sheet and have to look around the store for the items they need to count.

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 683 

@danmccloskey1 , how many different physical locations are there? One thing that might work would be to have a product tag for the items. That denotes its location. I think you can filter inventory counts against product tags. Just an idea, since I'm unsure if it's viable. 😀

Hey @danmccloskey1

I totally agree with @gregarican ! Based on the way you've described it, you could add multiple tags while using an organizational system (Tag 1 =Shelf Tag 2 = Bin etc).

Since items are shared throughout all locations within 1 account, the tags are as well.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

We currently have roughly 100 different locations.

So are you suggesting to use the Tag section to add a location?

Hey @danmccloskey1 ,

Considering the amount of locations you have, tags could be used but you'd need to get creative since there's a limit of 250 characters in the tag field.

Even if you'd use this particular format: S1B2L5 (shelf 1, Bin 2, location 5) as a tag, you'd still be affected by the character limit, as there would be upwards to 600 total characters used per item.

I'll note your feedback and request to be able to either increase the tag character limit or include a location field that can be searched in the item search, if this helps!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

Vanessa,

Having a place for item location in the item record would be ideal. Having the ability to search by it, and print out count sheets is paramount.

Thank you

Hey Dan,

Definitely! Thank you very much for taking the time!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• SailmakerSailmaker Member Posts: 1

So has a good solution been found for this?? Our store has tens of thousands of SKUs, and finding them to fulfill orders or even just restocking is incredibly tedious without the ability to mark them in a searchable, sortable field. We do use a custom field for "BIN" right now, but you can't sort those fields or change them in bulk - which means you have to change them individually - unless there's a solution for this that hasn't been obvious?? Thanks so much!!

• AndyVAndyV Member Posts: 1

I have run into this issue as well and found that Tags or Custom Fields could be a solution, if somewhat tedious to make bulk changes as other comments have suggested. The deal-breaker for me is that we DO expect to have multiple locations, and there appears to be no way to manage anything but quantity and price on a per-location basis.

I'd like to see the ability to set Custom Fields per location, eg:

StoreA -> Stock Location -> Bin123

StoreB -> Stock Location -> Bin789

• KatherineKatherine Member Posts: 1

I think LightSpeed should add a product locations feature so that we can include where the product is located in each store. It can be done with the customs field however, an associate cannot do such a basic task. It takes an admin or higher to fill in the customs field section which is quite ridiculous. One of 2 things should be fixed. They should either allow associates to edit custom fields or better yet, add a product locations feature. Tags do not work for our business. We have too many products and tons of counters and shelves. Plus we have Lightspeed POS and Ecom and I don't want to have thousands of tags causing confusion for us to manage through. Please please please add a products location feature that can be edited by someone with restricted/basic inventory settings :)

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 683 

@Katherine , one big caveat about custom fields is that they are only accessible in the item detail web form. You can't view them in reports or access them anywhere else other than via the Retail API. While product tags can get out of hand, at least they are accessible pretty much anywhere.

• KatieBKatieB Member Posts: 1

In our kayak shop, we put physical signs up around the store according to direction - so each wall of the store is a direction (north, south, east, west), and every 5 feet or so, we have it tagged with a number - so one of our walls is marked "N1, N2, N3, N4, N5...etc." - in our program, we added a custom field as "BIN Location" - and you mark the product with the corresponding location "N1".

This system at least gives us a way to find product, because we have tens of thousands of SKUs - but the real pain of it is having to edit the location of anything...for example - we have fishing gloves...of different sizes and colors...so each one has its own SKU (obviously)...which means, if you want to physically MOVE those gloves from one part of the shop to the other, you have to go into each and every SKU, and edit the "BIN Location" manually. I rearranged the entire front of the store last week, and it was incredibly time-consuming to update the products - and I'm fairly certain I missed at least 25 things...LOL

It would be INCREDIBLY helpful if this was a field that was sortable, and able to edit IN BULK...so for retailers that have more than one store, the first field option would be something like "Location" (for the physical store number), the next field would be "BIN", and then the corresponding number...so it would end up looking something like L1BN1. But for little shops like ours, just having the ability to have a bin number would be spectacular - with the ability to select multiple items to change at once...

Hopefully that gives everyone a workaround for now until Lightspeed adds that option!! 😉🤙

KB