Break apart products

sfusionsfusion Member Posts: 8

I sell a lot of bulk food products in my store. In Onsite, there was the ability to build "break apart" products whereby the broken down inventory of the sub products rolled up into a master product. For example products a, b, and c rolled up into product z when broken down. You could then sell whatever quantity of master product z that you wanted. In retail this same functionality isn't available, which i didnt realize when i made the decision to switch over to Retail. I thought "Box" products was similar but they're not as when you sell the master product above the set box quantity of one of the sub products, retail will in fact try to sell one of the sub products when the selling quantity threshold. I don't know why the "break apart" functionality is no longer available. Can you please bring it back as "box" and "assembly" products aren't the right solution for my needs?

7 comments

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 146 

Isn't "Assembly" the same as "Build Product" in Onsite?

Create new product description.

Add all the items to create the new completed product from smaller components.

I thought "Break Apart" was if you needed to sell something from that larger component and wanted to reverse the build.

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 796 moderator

Hey @sfusion ,

@Shootersshed is correct. If your product is an assembly, there is a Break Apart option for the software to take apart the finished assembly product so you can have your individual components back in stock.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• sfusionsfusion Member Posts: 8

Hi Vanessa and @Shootersshed,

Thanks for the response however assemblies (or build product in Onsite) aren't what I'm after. The functionality is similar but not the same as the "break apart" in Onsite. Assemblies are great for building bikes and baskets whereby when you create one bike or basket, all the sub parts are pulled at the same time to make the bike or basket. If you don't want one of the bikes or baskets, you can break apart the product down and all the sub products return to inventory

In Onsite the "break apart" functionality allows you to associate sub products to a main product. You can then chose which sub product you want to "break apart" and therefore add its quantity to the main product. The break apart functionality simultaneously suppresses all the other associated sub products from breaking apart and having their quantities added to the main product total.

"Box Products" in their current state don't work either for my situation. I would have to show you screen shots to explain why.

I spoke with support for 2 hours and they acknowledge that the same "break apart" functionality isn't available in Retail. They also don't have a solution for me.

Can you please pass this along to your developers and/or have someone reach out to me for a solution. This is a big part of my business.

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 796 moderator
    edited March 2021

Hey @sfusion,

Sure! I can definitely go ahead and input your request!

I did want to point out though that this article in the Onsite Help Centre doesn't seem to describe it quite the same way you do, making it seem like it's both a box and assembly item in 1, however, the way you're mentioning it sounds like it's doing both jobs at once rather than 1 option at once.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• sfusionsfusion Member Posts: 8

Thanks Vanessa,

Its really hard to describe the difference over messages and easier to show with live examples but trust me that the Relationship / Break Apart functionality in Onsite is now different in Retail. If I had more time I would capture the differences in video for you.

Box Items in Retail are close and would probably act the same as the Relationship / Break Apart function if there was a way to chose to suppress the automatic rebuild functionality with Box Items (e.g., selling 12 cans of soda automatically get boxed back up into 1 case of soda). I have found a work around for now, still using Box Items and will gladly share if anyone else expresses a similar challenge. I also shared the work around with the last Support agent I spoke with.

Thanks for passing along to your development team.

• robustobriarrobustobriar Member Posts: 13

@sfusion is correct we sell cigars and we experience a similar issue. Cigars come out of boxes and are sold single and boxed. In onsite one of the nice features too was the ability to break apart multiple items in a fast workflow through the break apart menu. Additionally suppressing the feature is important in our line of work as there are consumers who will ONLY accept factory sealed boxes. but if you check the computer due to the auto break feature it looks like its already opened for individual sale.

• kellyfkellyf Member Posts: 12

I think I have the same situation. We carry gift products and purchased a "box" of specialty lip gloss. The box is made up of 36 tubes but there are 5 types of "singles." For illustration purposes:

12 of Vanilla

6 of Raspberry

6 of Strawberry

6 of Natural

6 of Apple

Total count: 36 = Box quantity

But we want to track each "flavor" as we do have the option to purchase specific items and will reorder the best seller(s). Also, the UPC code is different for each. We have a workaround but why not allow LS to break a box into multiple "Singles" as illustrated above? Thanks.