One product but different UPC

sfusionsfusion Member Posts: 8

In my business I have different suppliers who sell the same product however at times the UPC codes are different. Can you please considering allowing multiple UPCs for a given similar product? Will help reduce manual data entry and chances of inventory discrepancies.

4 comments

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 120 

Can you use the EAN area?

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

Hey @sfusion

I could note this in our enhancement requests, however you could use Vendor IDs for this purpose in Retail.

As a quick overview, Vendor IDs are often a 1-sku code that's used to quickly pull up what the vendor accepts as a product code without it taking up a slot in your Manufacturer SKU or Custom SKU sections. 

You can only add 1 vendor ID PER vendor within an inventory item card. 

So, example: 

Item : Moon Boots 

Vendor ID: XKL35

Vendor : Moon Co. 

Go to Inventory > Item Search (or +newItem) > Vendor ID tab

You'll notice you can only add 1 vendor ID when working with 1 vendor. If this changes, you'll need to update the existing record. 

You can still, however, add 2 vendor IDs. You simply have to select a new vendor, insert a new code and add it to the vendor ID section. 

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• Tim_The_Grand_NagusTim_The_Grand_Nagus Member Posts: 12

@sfusion We have a similar problem sometimes, we use the Custom SKU field as our secondary UPC location, or the EAN field. Any of those will still work as a barcode when scanning an item.

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 44

I second the request to be able to add multiple UPCs (or other types of codes) to an item. With our previous POS system you could add an unlimited number of codes (aliases) to an item. Using Vendor IDs for that would be a pain.