No good options for businesses without barcodes

NailsNails Member Posts: 2

I have just spent some time with support and they told me that you either have barcodes or your cashiers have to use the manual search and add each item the customer is buying individually. Neither of these are good solutions for our business and it will likely mean we have to switch away from lightspeed retail.

This is especially curious because lightspeed restaurant has an excellent system for handling this exact thing as seen here:

You can quickly switch between categories and add many items on the fly. It baffles me that retail doesn't even have something similar.

3 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 714 moderator

Hey @Nails !

You could always create a custom menu with submenus (where you manually add items to the submenu to easily add to a sale) category submenus (displays items by category) or simply a button to add 1 item at a time to help make your workflows quicker!

Creating a Button in your Sales Tab 

- Go to Settings > Custom Menus > Sales Tab

- Add a title 

- Change the type to Add Item(s) (Submenu will create a menu for you to add other buttons inside, Category submenu will allow you to select the category of items you wish to see)

- Choose the color of your choice

- Click Save Changes

- Scroll down on the same page and find the button

- Click the pen

- Link the non-inventory Item you just created

And voila! You now have a fully functional button that can be applied to the sales of your choice. 

For more information on Custom Menus, you can always consult our A Detailed Overview of Custom Menus or our Creating Custom Menus page on our Support Website! 

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• NailsNails Member Posts: 2

Thanks Vanessa, but there are several problems that solution creates.

-Those buttons are only accessible from the manager's section of retail we cannot give all our cashier's manager access.

-You must manually create a button for each inventory item or each category. With large numbers of items this is unfeasible and uses a very limited interface that does not show pictures, just long lists of products.

-This method does not offer support for integrated payment and all transactions must be recorded manually.

Even one of these issues makes that solution impractical for our business (and I assume others).

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 714 moderator

Hey @Nails ,

Thanks for clarifying this! I definitely see what you're looking for here. I'll note it in the list of enhancements requested for the POS app.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)