Need to Void CC Payments taken through Lightspeed Payments

ngilsonngilson Member Posts: 53 ✭

We have just transitioned from On-Site, and have thousands of customers whose tax exempt status did not migrate over. The result is that we are needing to refund and re-bill sales which are incorrectly charged tax. The problem with this is that we are now paying TWICE the credit card fees as a result. No big deal on a $100 sale, but I just ate an extra $240 on an $8k sale because of it.

Why are we unable to void sales where payment was taken through LightSpeed Payments? This seems like an arbitrary decision that has a very real negative impact on LS customers.

Can the ability to void a sale on payments taken through LS Payments be added?

4 comments

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 760 moderator
    edited March 10

Hey @ngilson ,

I totally understand the frustrations and have dug into some of your questions and found some answers for you.

Regarding the voids, currently this is an option that is limited by Stripe specifically. Any and all payments that are taken immediately get fees applied and batch out, meaning that voiding the sale would do nothing to the payment themselves, as you'd normally expect them to.

Because of this, we've disabled the ability to void with Lightspeed Payments to avoid any confusion on if the payment is refunded or not.

I could note it as a feature enhancement, however only Stripe would have the ability to change this as this is how they work for all payments.

For your migration, I've checked in with the migration team and they've advised me that customer tax statuses aren't migrated and should be set up manually (or imported) after the migration has been completed.

Of course, to make your job easier in making this happen, you could export a list of your customers, make sure the tax exempt option exists when going to Settings -> Sales Taxes -> clicking the store's basic sales tax and assign the Tax exempt value inside the default.

From there, put the name of the Tax Exempt sales tax as a column in your customer export and you can submit it to our import team for us to update it rather than having to go through hundreds of profiles and setting them manually.

For more information regarding this, feel free to chat us or consult the Importing Customer Data help centre article.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• ngilsonngilson Member Posts: 53 ✭

Thanks @VanessaD -

I will have someone from our admin team contact the import team to convert over the tax exempt customers.

In regards to Stripe being the problem regarding voids, what are our options for other payment processors which would allow for voids?

Thanks!

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 760 moderator
    edited March 16

Hey @ngilson ,

Tsys offers the Genius (previously known as Genius by Cayan) platform that offers a Gateway option available in Retail and allows for voids.

Be mindful that there are only 2 potential terminals to choose from with EMV capabilities, which are the Verifone MX915 (connected by LAN to the router directly) or the Genius Handheld (which connects using wifi but should be within 20-30 feet of the router).

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• ngilsonngilson Member Posts: 53 ✭

Thanks @VanessaD!!