Does anyone use LightSpeed retail for their ecom store?

lucylinie21lucylinie21 Member Posts: 1

I just began working for a company who is getting ready to launch their ecom website in March. They signed a contract with Lightspeed and im not sure if it was the right product. Shopify would have been better in the usability and customization options. LS is supposed to be launching a new product for the US in the summertime that is,right now, only available in the UK. This product seems to be a little closer to Shopify. Does anyone have any "hacks" or tips that could possibly help in the mean time with the customization and options for design and SEO?

7 comments

• VintageWineGuyVintageWineGuy Member Posts: 131 

I have been using Lightspeed Omni (retail and ecom) for several years. I have looked at Shopify but didn't like their store POS enough and our priority is in-store. I looked at integrating LS and Shopify and didn't want to deal with the extra cost and hassle - but we revisit this every year when we renew.

Like a lot of things, what is important to you may be different. For us, we have been able to do the basics and run our business. The things we hate about LS we have somewhat worked around with some custom dev and API calls.

Not sure what gaps you are seeing with design or SEO - most of what I need is in LS or in one of the available custom templates. I do pay an extra $25 a month for one of the templates that fills some gaps.

The problems we have are really with the integration between retail and ecom. They started as separate products and the gaps show. Promotions is a big problem because they suck in retail and don't integrate at all to ecom. So you end up having to duplicate promos, which work completely differently, and you end up having different promos online than in store.

We use a lot of other hacks - all based on scripted API calls.

• GlanGlan Member Posts: 3

Shopify would have been exceptional in the ease of use and customization alternatives. LS should dispatch another item for the US in the late spring that is,right now, just accessible in the UK. This item is by all accounts somewhat nearer to Shopify. As far as we might be concerned, we have had the option to do the nuts and bolts and maintain our business. Chatiw

• thomaskinthomaskin Member Posts: 1

Lightspeed started life as a company offering retail POS system technology to companies. LightspeedHQ.com still offers these retail solutions in the form of Lightspeed retail. However, the company also has its own eCommerce solution now too.

The Lightspeed system for eCommerce works alongside the POS solution to help companies easily expand their business operations into the digital world. The user interface is incredibly intuitive and modern, with tons of customization options to choose from. However, there are a few bugs to work out too.

• whappycannabiswhappycannabis Member Posts: 27

I agree. There are a lot of frustrations with LS Omni. The integration between Retail and eCom is painful. Depending on how you set things up, for example, if you have 10 of one item in stock and someone orders two online, your online store will show 8 available which is correct and still 10 available in your Retail POS because the inventory in retail will only be reduced once the customer pay (this is how we set things up for our store). Now the problem is when a customer comes in store to buy one of those same items, Retail will say 10 minus 1 = 9 and then it will push this to eCom so your eCom store will now say 9 available but in reality it should be 7 (10 minus 2 for the yet-to-be-paid online order minus 1 in-store order). I told LS about this really bad behaviour many months ago and nothing has been done. Support for LS Retail is also very poor. I found Shopify support to be much more responsive and helpful. Most of the bugs and issues I bring up with LS, I am being told to request a feature enhancement as if this was normal behavior. We are currently actively looking at Shopify and might switch over but as another poster said, if POS is your main focus, then maybe LS is better. If eCom is your main focus then maybe Shopify is better for you.

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 907 
    edited June 2021

Our company uses Shopify for e-com and we looked at Shopify POS for the brick and mortar stores. While not as mature of a product, their POS was updated frequently enough. Shopify support and development is definitely deeper and more responsive compared to Lightspeed. After dealing with Shopify since 2015 and Lightspeed since 2018, I think that enough time has passed to notice trends and tendencies in order to compare the two. 😆

The only reason we didn't launch Shopify POS was money-related. Their credit card processing rates were much higher than our standalone c/c processor. And their transaction fees per POS sale would've amounted to quite a lot, since we sell high-end luxury jewelry we'd be paying out the nose. That alone steered us away from Shopify POS. Any functionality gaps we found in their solution were easily plugged with their POS SDK. Had all of those boxes checked within about 3 months of custom development in-house.

edited June 2021

Lightspeed started as an organization that provides marketing expertise in POS format to organizations. LightspeedHQ.com actually offers these marketing deals as Lightspeed vendors. Thus, the organization currently has some of its own e-commerce agreements. Their credit card prices are much higher than our standard c / c processor. And again, the exchange rate on POS transactions can be a significant amount. Because we sell high-quality jewelry that pays for your nose. It moved from Shopify POS on its own. Thanks for the replies.